GO!

Safe or not?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Zoey

An agility &- bikejoring dog!

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 5:01pm PST 
My 4 year old Shetland sheepdog and 4 year old mutt are in training for bikejoring. I was wondering is using this type of harness http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4217931&lmdn=Dog +Collars%2C+Tags+%26amp%3Bamp%3Bamp%3B+Leashes would be safe for bikejoring, at a slow walk/trot?
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 5:18pm PST 
My vote is no.

In bikejoring there will be some pulling (at the very least continual tension on the lines and harness) and that's not what this harness is designed for.

You would be better off in an x-back type racing harness or something like this: Canadog Shorty harness
[notify]
Zoey

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 5:21pm PST 
Okay thank you very much! I was just making sure (: Appreciate it.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 8:39pm PST 
One of my friends who does a lot of the rail trails bought a Leerburg nose work harness for her dog. It is a non-restrictive harness like the tracking harnesses. I don't think she has had a chance to use it yet though b/c of this awful heat.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 12:02pm PST 
I dunno, I don't think it looks un-SAFE for pulling. I don't think it will hurt you or your dog to try it if you already own this harness and don't want to buy another, though I certainly wouldn't BUY this harness for pulling in. That big chest piece looks like it could chafe.

I use for biking a custom-made harness very much like the Comfortflex Sport Dog Harness. It is padded and doesn't restrict movement.
picture of him in it
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 10:05pm PST 
I purchased a ruff wear web master for some very gentle roller blading (we're talking side by side here not dog out front) and it is fine as long as the dog is not pulling against it too hard. If he pulls against it when we are walking it is not so good and whilst it keeps him under control I find it makes him puff a little bit. It is not really a pulling harness but for very slow riding/skating it seems okay, for example if you were going to use it with a walky dog attachment it would probably do.

X-back would always be my harness of choice for any serious pulling though. It distributes the pulling force much more evenly across the length of the dog. I would look into that style if you intend for the dog to be way out front on a line.
[notify]
Zoey

Barked: Mon Aug 13, '12 4:29am PST 
Thank you all very much. I appreciate it. I plan on doing just slow side by side on a bike for a while until I get enough money for proper harnesses.
[notify]
Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Tue Sep 4, '12 11:03am PST 
Personally I like bikejoring with the buggy style harness (seen here: http://bettercompanion.com/Store/products/buggyharness.html ) because it doesn't put pressure on the dogs hips and back like a regular x-back harness would. They can be kinda expensive though, while x-back cost less. It really depends on what you think is best for you and your dog though smile I hope you have fun!
[notify]