GO!

Looking for lure coursing in MD/DE area

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Cookie

100% Doofhound

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '12 6:16pm PST 
I live in eastern Maryland and was wondering if anyone knows of any lure coursing on the eastern shore, or in Delaware. I've searched Google with no success. Any help would be appreciated.
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Aug 4, '12 11:23pm PST 
Your best bet would be to contact a local greyhound rescue or one of the sighthound breed clubs. They often hold lure coursing and would be the best place to start looking.
[notify]
Cookie

100% Doofhound

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 12:50pm PST 
Oh, that is a great idea. Thank you!
[notify]

Maggie

im a squeaker

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 4:40pm PST 
There is a borzoi breeder called Silkenswift Borzoi and they have coursing practices in Hydes, MD all the time. I know them and they are very nice people. I believe there are local coursing clubs also.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 7:37am PST 
Ask right off the bat if they allow non-sighthounds to course. (I see you're posting as a husky, but ofcourse you may be asking about another breed...) Many don't, they require the dog to be an AKC registered sighthound breed. If they do allow off breeds to course, sometimes they limit it to specific dates/times. Every club is different, ask up front. Happy coursing!
[notify]
Maggie

im a squeaker

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 3:05pm PST 
I know that my friend in Hydes, MD allows non-sight hound breeds as does the AKC now. My doxie Maggie LOVES to go coursing, we have also brought Stinger my chessie pup up to try her out.

The AKC now has the coursing ability title for non-sight hound breeds, its basically the same as lure coursing for sight hounds.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 9:23am PST 
"The AKC now has the coursing ability title for non-sight hound breeds, its basically the same as lure coursing for sight hounds."

This is true, however each sighthound club has its own rules. One of the clubs local to my area only allows AKC registered sighthounds to run EXCEPT for two hours every other weekend, then it's all breed. The only reason why they added that was because the AKC opened coursing to non-sight hound breeds, but some still may require AKC registration to participate. My mixed breed can't run there for example. It pays to call ahead because clubs differ so widely.
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 1:15pm PST 
the coursing ability titles open to non-sighthound breeds are non-competitive and run in singles. Not anywhere near as fun as coursing with various dogs on the field..
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 5:09pm PST 
Exactly. The CAT (Coursing Ability Test) isn't quite the same as the actual sighthound coursing titles. It's still a lot of fun for the dogs, though.
[notify]