GO!

Unusual agility breeds?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 3:52pm PST 
Thinking of the "unusual PPD breeds" thread... what unusual breeds have you seen doing agility? I'm just getting into the sport, and been to my first top-tier event (as a spectator) and while the majority of high level dogs were either Border Collies, Aussies, or Shelties (and some Corgis, Labs, JRTs, Papillons, etc) there were definitely some outliers. One GSD. One Husky. A Weimaraner. A bunch of All-American mutts. smile

We've already had "what breeds are best for agility?" threads, getting common answers, so I'm curious about the more esoteric choices... What's the most unusual/rarest breed you've seen being truly successful in agility? (either an overall super-rare breed, or a more common breed that is rare in the sport.)
[notify]
Mya CGC TDI

I'm your new- best friend! Pet- me!

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 4:26pm PST 
Well, I don't know how they qualify for unusual, but at the local agility trials there are a LOT of Dobermans and English Springer Spaniels.

I have also seen Tervs and others in the Belgian Sheepdog family doing agility. Those are probably the most rare that I have personally seen.

Oh! There is a soft coated wheaten terrier that does agility that I know of!

ETA: I have seen a pittie girl too! If I think of more, I'll add them laugh out loud

Edited by author Sat Jun 23, '12 4:28pm PST

[notify]
Maggie

im a squeaker

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 4:40pm PST 
My Maggie girl does agility and has been successful, she is a longhaired mini dachshund...I know a good amount of doxies that do agility but most people think that they are rare in the sport.
[notify]

Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 4:42pm PST 
The most unusual i've heard of are Great Danes and English Bull Terriers. Although these dogs were competing as display teams mostly for fun dog shows, not as serious competitors. More and more Staffies involved in agility too! way to go
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 5:31pm PST 
Greyhounds are usually some that come to mind...
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 5:47pm PST 
There are 2 English Bulldogs (same handler) who run in my area.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 6:13pm PST 
I have a friend who runs agility with her French Bulldog! It is the funniest thing! The dog LOVES it!
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 6:34pm PST 
There is a lady near me who has Beagles and they do awesome. Also a lady who runs Shibas and they have their agility championships in a couple organizations (as well as MOTCh in obedience).
I have seen a Boykin spaniel do very well and a lady here who has awesome agility Huskies.

There are lots of very good agility Bernese as well. I know someone in the U.S. who finished a MACH6 with their Berner and lots of others with a MACH

Edited by author Sat Jun 23, '12 6:36pm PST

[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 6:39pm PST 
When Kashmir did agility she was the only Boxer i knew of in my 4H area that did it. dancing
[notify]
Sonja

It's all about- me.

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 7:19pm PST 
At the Rose City Classic in Portland...I saw an Afghan run agility...beautiful, flowing, graceful...haven't seen one since.

In Helena, Montana I saw a Basset Hound run agility...funniest thing I've ever seen. If it wasn't his ears knocking down bars...it was his wing-ding laugh out loud Ouch eek laugh out loud

Oh yeah, in Eugene, Oregon I saw a Pumi...talk about rare!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6