GO!

Bikejoring Harness

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 1:38pm PST 
So I'm sure this has been asked before but my search didn't turn up very helpful results.

I've taken Onyx for a couple very short (like 1/4 mile) jaunts with the bike on the Springer just to get him used to running with it. I just stuck him in a harness like this that I happened to have around.

He took to running with the bike very well and was pulling to go faster (I was keeping the pace at a trot) which gave me the idea that maybe at some point down the road we could try bikejoring. Plus our herding instructor mentioned pulling with him since he's so strong. I tried it with Fenrir but he wasn't very keen.

When I tried Googling the best bikejoring harness, everything said to get an X-back which is what I used with Fenrir. But I've read here that those aren't that great for bikejoring and that they put stress on the hips.

So what is the best harness for bikejoring? I've seen this one mentioned a few times, would it be appropriate?
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 2:19pm PST 
I plan on making my own x-back style harness. If my dogs are going to pull me, I don't want that weight all on their chest and shoulders...I prefer to see it spread over the body.

This is probably my go to site for bikejoring information. I have been interested in this for awhile, but I only had one dog that would do it...now I have two, so I am reading back up on it again.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 6:46pm PST 
I just ordered a ruffwear webmaster for jogging and rollerblading, it has a tow line as well as a back clip, but I'm still waiting for it to ship so I can't real tell you how it fits or anything yet. frown It costs a bit but I thought it looked worth it as it seems you could do all sorts of stuff with it .. and it's really cool looking to boot!

The urban trail looks excellent simply because of these side rings ... I think that would be perfect for a dog running along side. I always loved these harnesses, they look really well made.

I probably wouldn't use an x back for anything but carting or sledding for the reason you mentioned.

Edited by author Sun Apr 15, '12 6:51pm PST

[notify]

z

I can't hear- you.

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 8:05pm PST 
Hey, this might be helpful though I wasn't looking for Bikejoring (just biking side by side)...

A lot of the harnesses suggested were for sled pulling!

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Sports_and_Agility/thread/ 739865/1
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 9:01pm PST 
Lol! Turns out the harness plan I have is actually based off the Pulka one, more so than a traditional x-back. I tried one out and it didn't seem to pull on the hips (nor did the x-back, but my boy was too short bodied for one so I got different plans).

Here's a linky for the thread...there was a space in there.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 10:59pm PST 
Ghost, I was following your thread, it's actually what reminded me I needed to try Onyx out with the bike! Have you bought your G-Cel Harness? Do you think it would work well for pulling a bike?

I guess I just find the pulling aspect very confusing. The X-back puts weight on the hips which is bad but it's better to have the weight distributed across the body and not just on the shoulders and chest? Can you have it both ways?

Plus with the X-back, shouldn't the line be straight like it is when pulling a sled? Whereas with bikejoring, unless you have a really huge dog or long line, the line is going to be angled up, right?

What about the Ruffwear Omnijore Joring Harness? Doesn't reach the hips but spreads the weight out more than some harnesses. Not that I want or need the other components of the set.

Edited by author Sun Apr 15, '12 11:11pm PST

[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 11:42pm PST 
As chance would have it, my ruffwear webmaster came today.

I am sending it back. It is truly terrible. Even though I bought the correct size, it sits badly. It took me half an hour to adjust the buckles and it was impossible to make sit. The tummy strap actually sat over Jackson's privates and yep, guess what, he dribbled pee on it. The dog was too scared to walk fast in it and the clip gave zilch directional control. He kept on sitting down and trying to move the back strap away from you know what. I have never seen him more miserable in a piece of hardware. The design is so flawed it's not even funny.

I would never buy anything ruffwear after what I just went through in the last couple of hours.

I cleaned it, have the tags, and hopefully can exchange it for something else ... but man I am angry....
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Apr 16, '12 1:35am PST 
Me again...red face

Okay, coming to the realization there is no way I can return this thing with a pee stain, I spent another hour fiddling and adjusting, realized I was doing it wrong, got it on the dog, took off the bottom padded strap to preserve his hoo hoo dilly, got asked by a neighbourhood kid 'is that a police dog?' .... laugh out loud ... and had a pretty decent jog in it. Only gripe is that if he pulls ahead too hard he gasps a little (but hell, I probably adjusted it wrong.) So sorry about the rant about ruffwear ... it was just one of these days ... the omnijore system actually looks pretty decent. smile
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Mon Apr 16, '12 11:38am PST 
I can't use Ruffwear harness products with Maggie - they never fit her, so they rub all wrong and are uncomfortable for her. I would always suggest finding somewhere to try their products on as they seem to have very specific builds that they fit. Maggie has a very long body and is very lean - chest straps are either too wide or two short and that in turn makes the body part fit weird. That is part of the reason why I either get custom harnesses or make them myself.

You can get a completely custom harness from mushers or other harness customizers for much less than a majority of the Ruffwear products.
[notify]
z

I can't hear- you.

Barked: Mon Apr 16, '12 2:15pm PST 
We ordered our Springer and G-Cel harness. Haven't received it yet, since it's custom made. But I'll let you know how it works for us!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3