GO!

Utility articles: Singles, doubles, triples?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Zephyr

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 10:39am PST 
Soo Zephyr is about to start utility article foundations and the way I'm doing it requires a full set. (My wallet is displeased).

I've got her sized figured out, but I don't know if I should get her a single, double or triple bar set. I've seen them all at the training club and I've heard the various reasoning but I was looking for some insight from others who've been here.

Sadly no one is selling an old set at present so new is the only way and our only testers are single bars.
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 11:17am PST 
Nearly everyone around here uses the single bar articles, including me. They are simple and easy to replace if one gets broken.
One time I saw a person using a double bar set and as the dog was working the pile it's back foot got caught in between the bars of one article and had to walk back to the handler with the article stuck on her foot. When I saw that I was glad I had single bar articles.
[notify]
Droopy CD,- RA, HH, TDI,- CGC

I didn't do it

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 11:43am PST 
I use single bar articles. I have never used the other varieties.
[notify]

Zephyr

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 11:05am PST 
Thanks for the replies. I actually got a hold of the training director who has a personal preference for triple bars because of the number of outdoor trials in the area (Dog doesn't have to search as hard supposedly) but anything the dog will pick-up was the last answer.

I decided I might as well just get some single articles in a single, a double and a triple and see is Zephyr has a preference. She can be irritatingly picky on her pickups from the ground much to my irritation.
[notify]
Maggie NAC- WV-N TN-N- CTL-3 RE

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 12:03pm PST 
Maggie has trouble with doubles or singles, she has to readjust her grip on them - so for her I would only have singles. Not that she understand scent articles lol, doesn't mean I couldn't tinker with the different types.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 3:45pm PST 
I have triples since I have a dog who LOVES to only use canine teeth on one side to daintily pluck his article up and dangle it back to me. He wouldn't TOUCH singles.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 4:57pm PST 
I've got a single and a double in leather on order. The triple I'll order later since I'm just starting the foundation stuff for it. I have a hunch she'll prefer the double or the triple but we'll see. Picking up the wooden dowel I've been using instead of a dumbbell is done with much sighing and if she could I'm sure eye-rolling.

I know I don't need to have a formal set and I can use anything (actually the training director really hates that the "household items" thing has changed to what seems to be special equipment, and he suggested spoons for metal party)
[notify]
Maggie NAC- WV-N TN-N- CTL-3 RE

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 5:42pm PST 
A friend of mine and I were discussing articles (after a few glasses of wine). We decided that butter knives and little kids leather sandals would be hilarious and too much fun lol!
[notify]