GO!

kayaking with my dog

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 10:14pm PST 
I reckon doggles might be a top idea too if it's hot, you get a lot of glare off the water. And sunscreen for his nose. way to go
[notify]
Eve

The Christmas- Eve dog

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 4:20am PST 
I'm hoping since Eve is so young (right at 6 months) she will learn with me to kayak. Shes pretty open to new things. She had her first beach trip a while back (all she wanted to do was dig), the water was still very cold so she just went in with her feet. I don't think she would jump out of the kayak but I guess I will find out when I get one and take her. I will have a PFD for her and she's only 25 lbs right now so I won't have a problem getting her back in the boat.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 6:21am PST 
For kayaking, I'd look for a PFD with a nice sturdy handle on the back. big grin

It's a good idea to test out your gear on the kayak you'll be using in a calmer, clean area and practice with your dog a bit there. I hope you both enjoy your adventure!
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 11:02am PST 
we have the handles on our PFD's, but we also keep a flat collar and leash on them as well. Each dog thinks it can "walk on water" at least ONCE when they first go... we just reel them in and use the handle to lift them back into the kayak, BTW...bring extra towels!laugh out loud
[notify]
Kato

Birds!

Barked: Fri Apr 13, '12 7:13pm PST 
Eve, when Kato was a pup, I brought him on vacation with me. The first boat he went on was a paddle boat. Prior to that, he showed zero interest in the water. We were in the paddle boat about 20 ft from shore when Kato just decided he had enough and jumped out of the boat and swam to shore.laugh out loud

I was kind of half expecting something like that, so I stayed where it was shallow for me, so if he panicked or something I could easily reach him. But nope, he swam for the first time by jumping off the boat lol. Swam like a pro too.

I think all dogs know how to swim. It's just some panic when they hit the water, and that's where trouble comes. My other dog Sanka sank like a rock when he fell in our pool, twice. I had never seen such a thing before. Literally frozen in a panic and down he went without a struggle.
[notify]
Ch. Jones NY

Design Jewelry,- not dogs!!

Barked: Sat Apr 14, '12 4:05am PST 
Most of my Frenchies know how to swim...they just sink cuz their weight is too unbalanced!!! I don't take them kayaking because it is normally TOO HOT!
[notify]
Eve

The Christmas- Eve dog

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 5:32am PST 
Any other suggestions? I know someone said not to get a sit on kayak but to me that seems like the best option. If I were to tip over in a sit in it would be difficult for me to get the water out, keep up with her, get myself and her back it. It just seems like it would be easier with a sit on. There is a lake that is close that offers rentals and I plan on taking her with me one day there before I buy one for myself just to make sure she is going to be able to handle it.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sat Apr 21, '12 12:17am PST 
Personally, I don't see how it's possible to tip over in a sit in. Seriously, I tried. Super tough!
[notify]
Eve

The Christmas- Eve dog

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 8:09am PST 
You must be a pro kayaker because I can go to youtube and search kayak with thousands of videos of kayakers tipping with just themselves!! But I did get a sit on, seemed better for me. As soon as Eve's PFD arrives I will be taking her out. Going to pick a weekday so hopefully it won't be as busy (less distractions) I'm sure she will do great!

Thanks for the advise everyone!!
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 5:28pm PST 
Have fun!wave
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2