GO!

kayaking with my dog

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Eve

The Christmas- Eve dog

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 4:20am PST 
I really want to start kayaking with my dog Eve. Do any of you do this? She's only about 25 lbs right now and obeys commands well so I really don't think I would have a problem with her sitting on the kayak. Any suggestions on how to introduce it to her? Also, any suggestions on a brand or style of kayak? I know the obvious choice is the sit on top kayak but are there "bad" one's for what I would need it for? I'm only about 115 lbs so our combined weight would be under 150. This will be my main purpose for the kayak, I don't plan on going in whitewater at all, just a lake on relatively flat water (the occasional boat)

Thanks
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 4:44am PST 
We kayak with the dogs all Summer. Right now I have small toy breeds but I had labs in the past.
I would NOT get a sit on kayak... a good one with plenty of room in the front is much easier to keep the dog in. We use two brands, one is a Wilderness Systems Pamlico 100, and the other two are Old Town Otters. With the labs I had an Old Town Loon 120, which was perfect but very heavy!!!
I am NOT small, so the Otters are tight for me and a large dog but the Wilderness System one is perfect.
I just put the dog in and away we go!!! It helps if they know "sit" and "stay" really well! Mine all start out with a life jacket until they fall in at least once and I know they can handle it without panicking. We do keep a leash on them.
Check out Toto's photo album on his page and you will see plenty of photos of us kayaking... they are fairly far down toward the bottom, however.
[notify]
Wyatt

RATS, give me- RATS!

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 8:09am PST 
I have kayaked with Wyatt on Mission Bay. He loved it. I have a life vest for him and he just sits right in front of me.
[notify]

Eve

The Christmas- Eve dog

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 8:10am PST 
Why do you suggest not to get a sit on top?
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 8:29am PST 
Both Oz and Cobain are great kayakers (Coby probably more than Oz because he ignores other dogs laugh out loud)
Cobain and I in Algonquin Park

For starting out, my biggest suggestion is to start somewhere "clean" as in somewhere you wouldn't mind swimming in if it comes to that.
I've yet to be knocked into the water by my 2 dogs, but we'll see what happens when I get Rigby out in the summer laugh out loud
Also go when it's warmer out, again for the same reason.

I've used the blue kayak shown in the picture above, and also a handmade kayak that's in a picture on Coby's profile.
[notify]
Wyatt

RATS, give me- RATS!

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 9:08am PST 
know people who have their dogs on the kayak but I am just not sure how safe it is. I want Wyatt in with me, I feel I can control the kayak better and he is less likely to fall in if a boat goes by causing swells.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 11:46am PST 
I agree with Wyatt...sitting on top is not secure enough for me. At least if they are inside and moving around they aren't going to just slide right off, especially if I turn fast or something.
Being as most of their body is inside, it is also more comforting to them if they need a nap or something. And, those sit on ones get REALLY hot... we have sherpa pads that I put in front of me and the dogs sit on those and stay cooler.
[notify]
Kato

Birds!

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 12:32pm PST 
Pictures of people kayaking with their dogs make me so jealous!

I tried to do it with Kato. Kato would go on every other boat we had. Heck, he had no problems with the pontoon, which I thought would scare him quite a bit with the motor. But for some reason, the kayaks were the devil to him. Just me touching the kayak sent him literally hiding in the woods. Never got a chance to actually get him in!

Just out of curiosity, what do you do for the dogs when it's warm out? Out on the water on a warm day can get pretty darn hot if the sun is out! Can't imagine letting them jump out in the middle. It'd be pretty tough hauling them back in...at least the bigger dogs.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 12:36pm PST 
Kato, when we go we usually take a lunch and break (on an island is ideal!) The dogs get to swim while we are on land.
But, it does stay pretty cool down under the cowl and my guys will just go under if the sun gets too hot. You can also use wet towels to cover them. I normally get hot BEFORE they do, so it's never been an issue.
Actually, I shouldn't say that... I have left Toto and the other black dogs home in favor of the white ones when it is really sunny and hot. But, we usually go after I get out of work so it is cooler in the evenings, anyway.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Thu Apr 12, '12 5:45pm PST 
This is an interesting thread, I really want to start kayaking with Twister too. I don't know if I would be able to get him to stay in though, he loves to swim! I'll probably see how he does with a canoe first this summer.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2