GO!

Training on metal base and pvc base weave poles at the same time

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '12 8:37am PST 
Shadow is currently in agility class and we are learning the 2x2 method. At class they have 2x2 with metal bases, however I would like to practice at home and I do not have 200 to spend on weave poles. Affordable agility has a set for 70 dollars, but it's completely pvc. Will that confuse Shadow or will it be fine?
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '12 9:18am PST 
I have a grassy backyard, so I use 3 foot long pieces of rebar, with a pvc sleeve to cover the metal. Takes a bit more time to set up and position (and you have to keep remeasuring the distances everytime you set them up), but it was super affordable.

We haven't had any issues going from the backyard set-up (no base) to the metal based poles in class.
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Sat Mar 31, '12 8:09pm PST 
I don't think you'll have a problem. Enjoy your weaves!
[notify]

Zephyr

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '12 11:51am PST 
They have to pick up their feet either way. You should be fine.

And you can make a 2x2 set for under $30 very easily if you've got about an hour. I made a full six set and a teeter base for less than $70 and it only cost that much because I broke a set of PVC cutters and I can't find my hacksaw.
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '12 1:16pm PST 
I didn't think it would be a problem, but the trainers say that if you train on different equipment it will confuse them.

Zephyr-I was going to make them, but I wasn't able to find a piece that was needed around here anywhere. That and I really don't have a whole lot of time.
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Sun Apr 1, '12 2:06pm PST 
Fair enough. I just made mine with T's and pipe but I have a pathological issue with paying for things I can make myself for less. laugh out loud
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Mon Apr 2, '12 10:08am PST 
I went a farm supply store and got plastic electric fence posts (yellow, plastic with spike on 1 end). They are $3 here. Just stick them in the grass in the backyard. Cheap and crude but they work to teach the movement.

I can see some dogs being a bit confused using different styles but I would think they need to 'learn'. If you trial, different facilities are going to have some differences in their equipment unless they all bought the equipment at the same place. smile
[notify]
Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 7:15pm PST 
Huck never had a problem with the PVC or the metal. What I, as in the blonde one, did was train him on 22 inch weaves and 24 inch weaves and making him do the 2 different weaves, not realizing that he needs to be doing the same weave spacing to get his rythm. So he started to pop out of them. I had to take a step back and retrain the weaves and now he is back to where he was before I got the "not so" brilliant idea.
[notify]