GO!

Scent Hurdling

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 4:05pm PST 
Thanks for the videos! I watched a little bit of the bloopers real before work this morning, haven't had a chance to watch the real one yet!

My trainer wants to teach them to retrieve a vanilla scented object. It seems like this is not how it's done in the "real" sport, but since the chances of us competing are pretty slim I think it should be okay. What are the scents used in Nosework?
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 4:53pm PST 
In NACSW Nosework, the three scents are Wyndmere brand Birch, Auracacia brand Anise and Clove, or other equivalent.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 7:32am PST 
Sarah I don't understand; all the dogs are going to getting something that's vanilla scented? What's the point of that? They won't be learning to stop and check to make sure they're picking up the right scent which I thought was the point of this sport. shrug

Edited by author Thu Mar 15, '12 7:33am PST

[notify]

Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 4:09pm PST 
Jewel, good point. I think my trainer would just have us run one dog at a time. A lot of the dogs that take the class are reactive dogs. We are all able to work our dogs off leash, but we are never in the same enclosure with another dog. (The facility is a doggy day care with multiple ways to section the large room using giant chain link fences). I would prefer to teach her to find a scent that would build the foundation for something else, though. I'll ask her if it's possible to use other scents.
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Thu Mar 15, '12 7:26pm PST 
In Scent Hurdle racing the dumbbell is only allowed to be scented naturally. This means it can only have the handler's scent and the dog's own scent on it.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2