GO!

Custom harness is here! (with pics)

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 5:57pm PST 
I got my harness in the mail today from Kelli Roman (of Stinky dog collars on Etsy) and I LOVE it! The materials quality and craftsmanship are great, and the fit is pretty good. And it is SO cute on him.
Bruno is so handsome
why yes, I am cute
ready to run!

I totally recommend her if you are looking for this type of harness.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 9:21pm PST 
Very nice!
I love the colours you chose. It works really well on his black coat!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 10:09pm PST 
Cute puppy It looks very striking on him!
[notify]

Ellie

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '12 6:20am PST 
That looks really nice.
[notify]
Shayne CGC,- RL2

Shayne- Disc Doggin in- the 'Burgh!

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '12 9:55am PST 
That looks fantastic! She makes such nice looking harnesses, let us know how you like it (in terms of functionality, we all know it's GORGEOUS)!
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '12 10:26am PST 
Hmmmm, do the boys really need another harness...
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sun Mar 11, '12 9:26pm PST 
Okay, after a weekend of running and hiking, I can deliver a performance report.

One: Does it stay on well?
Yes. He has not gotten out of it or got it caught on anything while walking or playing. And it has not loosened after wearing it for several days. BUT... he did get out of it somehow when I looped his leash around a post for a minute and wasn't watching. Looked over and there he was, lying on the ground next to it!

Two: does it work as a no-pull harness?
Not really. When I clip the leash on the front D-ring, if he pulls at all, the harness just twists around and bunches up in his armpit. Maybe if I tightened the girth as much as possible it wouldn't slip, but then it would be uncomfortable and chafe his armpits. This is a slight disappointment, but he's not such puller as he used to be anyway.

Three: is it easy to put on/take off?
Yes, very. I just slip it over his head and buckle the girth. I'm not sure it needs the velcro closure on the girth though, I think his hairs might be getting caught in it.

Four: is it comfortable for jogging/running?
I think so. He can't exactly tell me, but there's no visible redness or hair loss from it rubbing, his stride seems normal in a full-extension run, and he doesn't try to take it off. I wouldn't use it for long-distance running though because I think the buckle is in kind of an awkward place, right behind the shoulder, and I'm afraid of it rubbing. I think it could also be used for light pulling work.

Five: Anything else to add?
Yes. If you buy one, don't measure really tight. I did, (because I thought an exact measure was important) and the harness fits tighter than I thought it would. It's a good thing the girth is adjustable, because otherwise it would be too snug. So use a more relaxed fit to measure for it.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 6:53am PST 
Nice! He is a handsome fella. big grin Does she make martins?

I've usually noticed the chafing under the pits with no-pull harnesses if the dog is really yanking. I think you'd see the redness and worn off coat around there and towards the back of the shoulder after a run if it was bugging him.
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 1:23pm PST 
I think she does martingale collars, Lucille. Could probably make a martingale harness (Easy-Walk type) if it didn't have the fleece padding on the front piece. She's really flexible about design ideas, I asked for the D-rings on the sides (they aren't part of the standard design) and she was totally fine with that, didn't even charge extra.

She also does a "buy-one, give-one" on collars, so if you order one, she'll make one and donate it to a rescue too.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 8:17am PST 
Cool, Bruno. I like the buy one, give one idea. I'm checking her out for our next collar. Always on the lookout for nice hand-made dog stuff, thanks!big grin
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2