GO!

First Coursing Ability Test (CAT)

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

MACH Koji BN- RAE MXB MJS- MXF T

Barked: Mon Mar 5, '12 5:14pm PST 
Koji tried his paws at Coursing Ability Test (CAT) 2 weeks ago and he totally loves it.

He passed the test with ease and we also did our first practice session with a local coursing club yesterday. It is really a fun activity for dogs that have a lot of prey drive!

Koji in pursuit of the lure

I would like to thanks Risa on this forum for informing us of this wonderful activity.

btw, does anyone know if AKC may open up the real Lure Coursing trails to non-sighthounds? Or anyone know why Lure Coursing is limited to sighthounds only? One could only dream! smile

Edited by author Mon Mar 5, '12 5:20pm PST

[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '12 5:04pm PST 
Yay! Lure coursing is so much fun! Do you plan on trying to get your CA?

I doubt that AKC is going to open up competitive lure coursing to non-sighthounds anytime soon. As far as I can tell, that's more of a breed test. A way to test a dog's natural abilities and prove they still have what they were bred to do. But I could be wrong.

I think they'd open tracking up to mixed breeds before they opened up coursing to all breeds. But you never know.
[notify]
Jasper

Whut?

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '12 7:18pm PST 
I love the pic!

My Jasper and Sonja hike regularly and have caught mice, voles, and gophers. They chase hares, quails, and deer.

So, when our kennel club put on a CAT event...I thought....why not? lets try!

BOL! Jasper just looked at the bag zip away then ran over to a friend who had popcorn. laugh out loud

Sonja looked at me as if to say, "really?" "Why bother" shruglaugh out loud
[notify]

MACH Koji BN- RAE MXB MJS- MXF T

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '12 5:53am PST 
@Risa

Yes, we plan to get a CA title. Koji totally loves this game. We were at a local coursing club practice over the weekend and he was in heaven!

Did you get your CA yet? Do you plan to do CAA or CAX?

Given how much he loves coursing, I am willing to drive 3-4 hours, so he can have his less than 2 minutes run. laugh out loud

I can't believe we add another activity for the boy. He is already doing Rally, Nosework, Agility, swimming and now Coursing?
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '12 9:46am PST 
That's awesome! Nice pic, too, by the way.

The AKC sighthound lure coursing club near me has 'all breed' days where any breed can run the course and have fun. You might want to check out the local club in your region, and if they don't offer that...suggest it! Lots of pups love to run that are not sighthounds.

I've been thinking about trying it because I use a flirt pole to course my dog around the yard and she goes nuts for that thing. Plus she's either the fastest or second fastest dog in the classes we've taken. Ofcourse, she might just look at the bag and shrug that doesn't look like a squirrel...Either way, we'll try it just for fun one of those 'all breed' days this summer.
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Thu Mar 8, '12 4:54pm PST 
Yes, Risa has her CA. She earned it at a 3-day trial last fall. We also course regularly with a local club.

I do plan on having her attempt to earn her CAA. We will need 7 more legs to earn that (if I remember correctly) and I'm not sure there will be enough events locally to get it! Especially since she is getting older. But we'll try anyway because she loves it so much.
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 12:46pm PST 
Lovely pic I'm glad he enjoyed it.

We tried lure coursing once he got halfway down the field decided chasing a bag was just stupid and came running back and knocked me over. All the other dogs followed him as well needless to say we didn't try it again laugh out loud

Edited by author Fri Mar 9, '12 12:47pm PST

[notify]
Ikan

Barked: Fri Mar 9, '12 5:04pm PST 
There has been talk of letting other breeds compete in AKC events. But nothing yet. Most clubs will let other breeds run in a fun day or tests runs. My boys have titles and even wow a lure coursing event.
[notify]