GO!

Earthdog questions

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Chase

Where's the- ball???

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 8:08am PST 
I would really love to get Chase into earthdog. However I cannot find much information on what is required before hand. He has been through basic obedience, but never did learn down(too boring I guess). How do you know if your dog will enjoy it?
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 9:47am PST 
Most terriers with reasonable prey drive and no fear issues will enjoy earthdog stuff.

Here is an earthdog club search from the AKC. There's actually a trial this weekend where I am where they're going to have introductory earthdog stuff so I imagine it happens in other places too.

Edited by author Wed Feb 29, '12 9:49am PST

[notify]
Chase

Where's the- ball???

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 1:47pm PST 
My local club has Earthdog classes and has trials. I'm not sure if Chase will like it and what usually is involved.
[notify]

Zephyr

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 3:04pm PST 
Since you have a local club, make a phone call... Generally speaking the terrier clubs are very welcoming and can answer your specific questions. It also makes a different between JRTCA/AKC. You can't know if your dog will like or dislike an activity until they try it. If it's a typical JRT odds are they'll enjoy it.

As for what's involved you send your dog down a den that has a rat in a cage and the dog has to sniff out the right direction. It's not terribly complicated until the upper levels. Search 'Introduction to Quarry" in google if you want specifics. It's a heck of a lot easier than hunting with terriers which is a walk interspersed with a lot of digging out the dog.
[notify]
Wyatt

RATS, give me- RATS!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 7:23pm PST 
Wyatt says jump in an try it, you will like itsmile Seriously,just go and give it a try. If your dog likes to hunt rodents he is going to LOVE earthdog.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 7:35pm PST 
The JRTCA has a local chapter here. They will let you take your terrier/terrier mixes (and for some reason I remember dachshunds too) to an event for FREE one time before you sign up. I am going to take Sarah once this summer. I don't think she'll like the underground part, but they do a barnyard hunt that is above ground that we're going to do!
[notify]
Wyatt

RATS, give me- RATS!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 7:38pm PST 
Wyatt says barn hunt is da bomb! Oh yeah and Superearth is WAYYYY cool too. Of course anything to do with rats he is all for! LOL
[notify]
Wyatt

RATS, give me- RATS!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 7:40pm PST 
Look for a JRTCA club affilate in your area. Many of the clubs put on "fundays" and your dog can try it out and see if he likes it. Also look up AWTA(American Working Terrier Association), they have earthdog tests and the intro class is reasonable and a great introduction for a green dog. Good luck and have fun.
[notify]
Chase

Where's the- ball???

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 2:57pm PST 
We don't really have rodents around here. He has cornered a groundhog before though. He's pretty mellow as JRT's go. My local obedience club does earthdog training/practice for $5 for as many runs as you want. He's hopefully going to get started this April or May. I sure hope he likes it.
[notify]