GO!

How much is too much?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Wed Feb 22, '12 8:03am PST 
I was very excited to start Lenny's agility classes come April.

But there is a possible snag in my awesome plan... Nosework class is on Wednesday nights. The local group who offers classes? The beginner class is also on Wednesday night. I'd also have to attend the latest Advanced nose work class versus the first one, which kind of stinks cause the first two Advanced classes are 'travel' classes where we go to different locations to practice to try and give the dog's more experiences outside the training facility. The last class of the night is still advanced, but it's not a travel class (it's just at the facility).

So if I was to choose to enroll Lenny in agility, our schedule would be:

7-7: 50 (agility)
8:30-9:30 (nosework)

Granted Nosework isn't a physical challenge, but it is a 'job'. He's a fairly energetic boy, happy to go go if that's what we're doing. And even after Nosework class we still have to go home and do either more Nosework or something else to tucker him out enough so that he'll be calm the rest of the evening. I wouldn't question it if agility was at 5 or 6 so as to give him a longer break, but is that too much in just one evening?

There is another facility (that's about an hour from my house...yikes) but I'd have to wait for another class rotation to start since the beginner class is already full. But that would mean it would be on a different night then Nosework, would that be better?

As excited as I am for agility we have an upcoming mock trial on April and then later an actual trial for Nosework... so I guess I want that to be a priority since I'm very nervous about our first trial (mainly about the mistakes I'm going to make! lol)

So what would you guys do? Do the two classes in one night? Or wait for the next round of classes and do them on different days?

Edited by author Wed Feb 22, '12 9:29am PST

[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Wed Feb 22, '12 4:46pm PST 
For me, personally, that really sounds like a lot. laugh out loud

But I imagine Lobo would be absolutely ecstatic if I had the energy to do all that in one day. We just got back from a nice run/walk/jog around the lake, probably two hours, and he's still looking at me like he wants to do more - which we probably will around 4am.

I'd say... it's totally up to Lenny. If he's got the energy, don't see why you can't. But if he seems to be really tired or stressed for nosework right after, then I'd say drop the agility class and wait for the next round. You might waste a bit of money(okay, a lot of money) but at least you know Lenny's limits.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 12:01am PST 
For me, it would depend on how the agility class is set-up...

A class where the dogs are crated unless working and are given plenty of breaks is a different kettle of fish than one where the dogs are always busy...including standing in line waiting for a turn on the equipment.

I've attended both styles of classes, and I vastly prefer the first set-up.

When we get home from agility, Rexy is still raring to go and gets antsy if we delay the walk too much. I'm pretty sure we could handle a second class shortly afterwards, but she would be bagged afterwards.

I actually just finished a OB class where one of the dogs was in back-to-back classes and they did really well, especially considering that the second class was a very high energy one.
[notify]

Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 8:30pm PST 
I wouldn't mind if he would be bagged afterwards, but I wouldn't want him to be too tired for Nosework. Not that I think that would be the case with a basic agility class. I'll probably give it a try and see how he does. If he seems to have a hard time then worst comes to worst I don't finish out the session. Cause like Rexy, after class I still have to work him a little more before he's ready to settle.

Thanks for the advice guys!
[notify]
Maggie NAC- WV-N TN-N- CTL-3 RE

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 1:09pm PST 
It certainly depends on your dog and you laugh out loud

I know that with Maggie she was able to do three hours of class (first hour she was used as a demo, 2nd she worked half the time, and the third was her full class). She loved it and thrived...but the fact that I was gone for close to 6 hours on that day made me exhausted (hour drive each way, plus the 3 hours for class and an extra hour for the inbetweens).

For the agility class, and seeing as how it sounds like an intro/foundation type class...you shouldn't be running full courses at full speed, so the physical demand shouldn't be a problem. It will most likely be a lot of mental stimulation though. I would be sure to give him some downtime between the classes (like a short nap in the car).

I know that my boy could never handle a back to back class, but both my girls love to learn...so for them it wouldn't be an issue. It is a know thy dog thing for sure!
[notify]