GO!

One harness fits all: bikejoring, skijoring, kicksled, AND rollerblading?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3  
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '12 11:30pm PST 
Just so you are aware, with Rexy I have not seen any issues with her being uncomfortable running while wearing it (even full out sprints after a ball). Every strap except the breast straps are nicely padded (which is perfectly acceptable as it's a pack harness rather than a pulling harness).

Yeah, going for the smaller size if she is in between is a good bet. Rexy has odd proportions (very small waist) but rest of the straps have plenty of adjustment space left on them...

I guess another thing to keep in mind is whether a large of amount of straps (like on the webmaster) will be a pain to deal with with that longer Sheltie coat?

Edited by author Tue Feb 21, '12 11:31pm PST

[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Wed Feb 22, '12 5:22am PST 
Just so you are aware, with Rexy I have not seen any issues with her being uncomfortable running while wearing it (even full out sprints after a ball). Every strap except the breast straps are nicely padded (which is perfectly acceptable as it's a pack harness rather than a pulling harness).

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to get an Urban Trail harness just for the sports. It has all padded straps, which is good in case she does want to do a bit of pulling. Plus, it's distinctly different, and will be easier to differentiate in her mind between work as an SD (wearing the Ruffwear Web Master) and play (wearing the Urban Trail).

Yeah, going for the smaller size if she is in between is a good bet. Rexy has odd proportions (very small waist) but rest of the straps have plenty of adjustment space left on them...

With Gypsy's girth of 22 inches, she could have been either the extra small or small size. With a small, she'd be at the small end of the potential adjustments; with an extra small, she'd be in the middle.

I guess another thing to keep in mind is whether a large of amount of straps (like on the webmaster) will be a pain to deal with with that longer Sheltie coat?

Well, any harness that I get is going to have a minimum of two straps. This one has three. Regular brushing will help keep the tangles down, and I suppose I could do that at the end of each day after she's worn the harness...

-D
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Feb 22, '12 9:46am PST 
Ruffwear is also redesigning their webmaster harness too. I'm not sure when that will debut, but they are not making any more of their current models.

Bruno, I still don't call it a gimmick. It's an all in one model. Made for people who don't want to go through all the custom fittings or shopping around. Ruffwear is also known for their rough and tough materials, which I wholeheartedly stand by. They are also super great with catering towards their customers. I have had personal experience with them in that department. The make items with the consumer in mind. The items they make are useful and practical. They are a wonderful company. Yes, their stuff is always expensive. Heck, their collars go for $30. But at the same time, you're buying a very high quality product AND a great customer service. If you have any issues, you can be assured they will find a way to quickly remedy them.
[notify]

Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Wed Feb 22, '12 2:29pm PST 
Sanka that's interesting! I know they've already redesigned it once before (or at least changed it some before) so I am interested to see how the new one will look.
I have a Palisades pack that comes with the Webmaster and I like it a lot. I've used it for my dog running with my bike and rollerblading.

I wonder if they're going to redesign anything else (or come out with some new colors of any packs, I'm always looking for that!)
[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Wed Feb 22, '12 2:55pm PST 
Ruffwear is also redesigning their webmaster harness too. I'm not sure when that will debut, but they are not making any more of their current models.

Yeah, in March, it looks like. (New ones will be available March 30th, they say.) Thanks for sharing, since I didn't know until now.

I'd love to see some new colors! Regardless of what they're changing, I assume it can only be better than the current version, so I'll wait to buy one for Gypsy. (The timing actually works fairly well with when I'm hoping to bring her home.)

-D
[notify]
Haggard

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 5:10pm PST 
CanaDog Shorty Harness is exactly what you are looking for! You can purchase it as a separate item or with their kits:

http://www.canadog.ca/dog-harness-shorty-ripstop-sport/
ht tp://www.canadog.ca/canicross-starter-kit-designer-1-dog/
[notify]
Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Fri Mar 16, '12 11:20am PST 
I love using buggy style harnesses, because they don't put much stress on the dogs back or hips like most normal harnesses do smile I bought mine from bettercompanion.com

Here's a link to picture of a dog in one: http://bettercompanion.com/Store/products/buggyharness.html
[notify]
Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Fri Mar 16, '12 8:54pm PST 
I have 2 Ruffwear Webmaster harnesses that I don't use. Huck's rubbed the hair on his back and Wyatt just hates it and hikes with a hump in his back. I have aSmall and a xsmall if someone is interested in them let me know privately I guess. Probably not allowed to talk about selling stuff here.
[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Sat Apr 14, '12 2:35pm PST 
The Urban Trail harness comes in two varieties: the custom sized one and the adjustable version.

Which would be better to purchase?

The pros of the adjustable one are that if Lacey washes out as a SD, chances are the harness would fit a different dog.

The pros of the custom one are that it is made just for her, and the straps look like they'd be stronger without the buckle for adjusting.

-D
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3