GO!

My mother insists frisbee would be damaging to my dog's health?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hmmm

What? You said- something?

Barked: Thu Feb 16, '12 5:45pm PST 
I'm by no means a frisbee player and my throwing is lopsided at best but Baby LOVES playing regardless -- it's something I'd like to get better at and maybe get sort of serious... or just play.

My mom insists on me stopping; she says a vet told her countless amounts of dogs are coming in with spinal injuries, knee injuries, etc because of playing frisbee.

Does she have grounds to stand on here? Are there really THAT many injuries? I don't want him getting any spinal injuries, that sounds just awful.
[notify]
Natcho

LabraDORK

Barked: Thu Feb 16, '12 5:54pm PST 
With any sort of sports (Both human and dog) comes injuries. I don't see any problem with it. Does he jump high up to catch them? Or just ate eye level?
[notify]
Shayne CGC,- RL2

Shayne- Disc Doggin in- the 'Burgh!

Barked: Thu Feb 16, '12 9:05pm PST 
Injuries can occur doing any activity with your dog. Injuries, of any kind and from any activity, increase when the dog is not in the right condition to be playing.

As long as your dog is healthy and in the proper condition, playing frisbee isn't overly dangerous (especially if you aren't doing high impact tricks).

That being said, improving your throwing skills with reduce the risk of injury significantly since you can better set up your dog for safe catches.
[notify]

Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Thu Feb 16, '12 9:14pm PST 
I would surmise that most canine sports injuries (like human sports injuries) happen to "weekend warriors" who don't train at all most days, then go all-out on the weekend (or whenever their human feels like playing.) They don't have the muscle strength or reflexes to prevent injury and often are older or overweight. Recipe for injuries.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 6:57am PST 
Shayne and Bruno are spot on. That is happening because people don't condition their dogs properly. It could also be because they're not waiting until growth plates are closed for high impact sports. Most instructors don't recommend doing any high impact agility courses until the dog's bones are through growing. You work on the foundation stuff in the meantime. Disk sports can involve a lot of twisting...but you're supposed to work your dog up to that level over time.

I didn't check the age of your pup...but even if they're young, throwing a frisbee at their eye level shouldn't be inherently dangerous because there's not much jumping involved.

Risk of injury does come with any activity, but if keeping your dog safe means never getting off the couch...I think if the dog had any say they'd rather play.big grin
[notify]
Hmmm

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 9:11am PST 
Thanks for the answers, I will keep practicing my throwing arm to keep it as level and low as possible.

Baby is three and a half or so and he's an aussie mix. He's in pretty good shape in turns of running around and jumping (it seems he jumps absolutely everything he can) and he does a lot of swimming which I hear is good for muscles and joints. He's by no means overweight either.

Though I don't think he's in good enough shape for intense frisbee play, just faster play lower to the ground. To get beyond that do you think just playing easy games of frisbee everyday will increase his muscle and flexibility? Or is there something I should be doing specifically with him for training?
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 11:34am PST 
Disc dog is a fun sport... Charks is NOT interested in that one wink

Check to see if there is a club near you. As others are pointing out, make sure your pup is fit. It does not seem any more hazardous to a healthy canine athlete than any other sport... we love agility, but there is a significant risk of injury to both human and dog. We train and we both work to keep our weight down. Your dog's joints will take some pounding, so you may want a vet check before you get serious to make sure hips, elbows and knees are solid.

Otherwise? Well, every time we go out, either one of us could get hurt. We train to get stronger AND to minimize the chances of injury. From the perspective of overall health... working your dog (with proper training) is far healthier that having an overweight couch potato thinking
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 7:54pm PST 
Well, my vet does frisbee with her dogs.
shrug
[notify]
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Sun Feb 19, '12 1:47pm PST 
Jogging's heck on the joints, but lots of humans love that. wink Sports come with the risk of injury, that's a package deal no matter what way you slice it. My mom used to wince when her dance class girls also were on the basketball team, because those hardwood floors are unforgiving and almost every year at least one person had to sit out of the recital with a kneewrap and crutches.

But the risks can be minimized. Proper equipment, taking it slow, and using whatever safety measures are in play for your particular sport makes it less likely your dog will suffer harm.

Maybe your dog will land wrong and get a bad leg or something... or maybe you'll enjoy yourselves for years, and both develop arthritis in your old age whether you run around or not. wink Enjoy your bodies while you can still use 'em! Movement is vitality and vitality is an expression of joy. No fear! Rawr! laugh out loud
Hmmm

Barked: Sun Feb 19, '12 8:03pm PST 
Thanks! =). We're gonna work ourselves into it.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2