GO!

Running/speed sports

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Barked: Fri Feb 3, '12 1:14pm PST 
I'm new to the world of dog sports, but I would like to find one that's a good fit for my puppy. He's about 8, almost 9 months old. He's a mix, we aren't entirely sure what, but when we let him run off-leash at the dog park, he's a speed demon with an amazing ability to turn on a dime, and corners like a motocross rider. It's very cool to watch him when he's really going, and I would love to focus that into some type of controlled sport.

I would like to train him for agility as I know he'd be great at it, but just curious if there is anything out there that incorporates flat out speed.
Thanks in advance smile
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Fri Feb 3, '12 2:39pm PST 
Lure coursing. wink UKC and AKC offer coursing for mixes as well though the competition is pretty much nil. Non-coursing breeds and mixes run the course solo but can still earn titles. In AKC, if your dog can run the 600 yard course (it's less distance for smaller dogs) in less than 2 minutes, he can earn a leg towards his CA (Coursing Ability) title. You need 3 legs to earn it. After that, another 7 legs will earn you the CAA (Coursing Ability Advanced) and a total of 25 passes earns you the CAX (Coursing Ability Excellent).

If you're lucky, you might find a local group or club that offers lure coursing for fun too.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 3, '12 3:15pm PST 
I've never heard of that, thanks for the info, I would never have found that on my own. smile
[notify]

Zephyr

Barked: Fri Feb 3, '12 3:28pm PST 
I've been trying to get my trainer to set up a lure course but he just laughs at me.

There's skijoring/bikejoring/canicross. It's more about pulling than speed but it works well.

Edited by author Fri Feb 3, '12 3:28pm PST

[notify]

Awesome Dog

Barked: Fri Feb 3, '12 4:40pm PST 
You're most welcome. It's a LOT of fun for the dogs. Risa is a lure coursing maniac. smile

Risa's AKC CAT run
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Fri Feb 3, '12 4:50pm PST 
Risa do you get to practice with a club/your own setup or is it more of a just do it at a trial kind of thing?
[notify]
y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Fri Feb 3, '12 7:58pm PST 
There are courses and facilities just to run for fun on (we're nearish to one). But the Coursing Aptitude tests available to non-sighthounds and mixed breeds are just that - aptitude tests. They are non-competitive and basically measures just the base innate skill of a dog .. you don't need a whole lot of practice as long as you have decent running and interest in the bag.

It's akin to the herding aptitude tests, a lot of dogs who do it are seeing sheep for their first time. smile

If you can find a friendly SchH club in the area, you can also do the AD test. It measures endurance & speed.
[notify]

Awesome Dog

Barked: Sat Feb 4, '12 5:45am PST 
Risa and I have been very fortunate that there is a lure coursing group nearby. (We have to drive an hour to an hour and a half to get there.) We course as frequently as we can once the weather clears up because Risa truly enjoys it. Just last year, the AKC introduced the CAT and we were also lucky in that there was a dog show within an hour's drive that was hosting it. Risa was able to earn her CA over that three day trial.

If you don't have access to a coursing club/group, you can make a flirt pole to judge if your dog has the drive to be a good coursing dog. (You might even want to put a plastic bag on the end of it rather than a toy to build drive for the bag.) Most dogs with prey drive are good coursing dogs, but not always. And some dogs simply don't get it at all. Then, there are dogs like Risa, that want nothing more than to run full blast whether there is something to chase or not. wink

As Lilith mentioned, the coursing ability tests are non-competitive; one dog runs at a time. This is also generally the case with coursing clubs/groups. The group we course with rarely allows multiple dogs to run. Coursing is a very VERY high-energy event and some dogs get over-the-top in drive and can cause injury to each other. So you need to be very cautious if you choose to run your dog with another dog (many competitive coursing events have muzzled dogs for this very reason).

With that in mind, it's very important to keep your dog properly contained/controlled and away from other dogs at coursing events. At one event, I saw two dogs get into a fight because they were so amped up over the lure. And they were just on the sidelines watching.

Edited by author Sat Feb 4, '12 5:49am PST

[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 2:25pm PST 
You might also look at fly ball...
[notify]
Happy

The Boy Wonder

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 6:29pm PST 
I was going to recommend Flyball too.. it was always a lot of fun for my border collies, granted they were all speed demons. If you have a dog that loves balls and is good with other dogs it's something you can look into.
[notify]