GO!

New AKC Rally Regs Are Out

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Mon Dec 19, '11 6:25am PST 
Okay, maybe I'm missing something here. But why is Rally no longer fun because there are additional signs and a slight change in the rules? This isn't the first time they have made changes to the AKC Rally rules. The "Stop and Down" and "Stop and Stand" were additions back in 2007ish. The Honor Exercise used to be an NQ if you failed it not the 10-point deduction it is now. These sports are always evolving and they need to make changes.

Think about it. When any dog sport began, everyone was at pretty much the same level. But you had some people who were really good at it. They set the bar. Many of them had students who learned from them and surpassed them in their ability. This continued and soon performances that were amazing at the start became the average for the sport. You have to adapt it so that it doesn't become too easy because people are always getting better.

Not everyone will be able to title their dog. Plain and simple. Titles, to me, should not simply be given because you showed up and tried. You have to earn them. You have to work hard.

I'm not blessed with a handler-focused dog. She's fairly biddable but also has an independent streak. On top of that, she's hypervigilant and fearful. Dog reactive too. I worked my butt off for 4+ years just to get her into her first competition and I continue to bust my butt to make her an even better performer. I don't expect to walk into the ring and be awarded a Q and half the time I don't think our performances deserved one. If anyone walking into the ring can earn a title no matter what their dog does, then what does that do to the value of the titles we earn? It makes them worthless. They don't mean anything if anyone can get them with minimal effort.

Perhaps we don't view "fun" the same way. I like a challenge. I want to be forced to work hard and occasionally step out of my comfort zone when I compete. I like to step up to the plate and see what we're really made of. What we still need to work on. I learn the most when we NQ, not when we Q. I like the variety of Rally signs and that the course isn't the same every time we go. I enjoy being able to talk to my dog (even though I'm generally quiet when we train). I like that Rally is more laid-back and not as 'stiff' as obedience. While it may not be as important to have straight sits and quick responses in Rally, I still train to that level. I don't see how the new regulations change that at all.
[notify]
Holly - CGC TDI

Squirrel?- Squrirrel!- SQUIRRELLLLL!!!!

Barked: Mon Dec 19, '11 10:48am PST 
Sorry Risa, I should have clarified rather than just complained.

I'm not concerned about Holly's performance. No, she may not sit perfectly straight every time, she may not maintain eye contact while heeling, but overall she's pretty darn golden.

It's my reactions I'm worried about. I've already got some problems that make showing difficult, my greatest worry is me making a mistake. I've gone through the regulation book a lot so that I won't make any stupid mistakes.

It's frustrating to me that the regs are being changed because of timing and because I'm worried there may be more opportunities for me to make a mistake that NQs us. I'm also worried that the worry may affect Holly's performance and enjoyment since she really picks up on how I'm feeling.

I'm sure that once we've run a few courses under the new regs it won't be a worry at all.
[notify]
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Mon Dec 19, '11 4:07pm PST 
Thanks so much for the clarification, Holly. That is certainly something to consider when regulations change. But, I think judges will give a bit more leeway at the start because of the changes. They know that it is going to take time for the teams to get a handle on things and they themselves will have to remember all the changes too! I bet the judges will take time to remind everyone of some of the more major changes (like luring, pleading, etc.) when they give their briefing before the walk throughs.

big grin
[notify]

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Mon Dec 19, '11 4:25pm PST 
Fun for me is something Daisy and I can be successful at. I don't mind hard work either and I still think she could get her RN title.

But the more you get towards traditional obedience (like single cues only like APDT) the more boring (like obedience) and less chance I have with the type of dog I have to be successful.

I like AKC because it is something up till now I didn't have to take classes for-I can train at home. I don't have any rally trainers anywhere near me. And no positive reinforcement/clicker/ non yank and crank trainers within an hour and a half of me.

Doesn't really matter since there is only one trial a year near me. I can't take Daisy to trial away form here since she won't poop on a leash and I can't be guaranteed a fenced in area if we travel. Our rally days are pretty much done due to where we live now.

Edited by author Mon Dec 19, '11 4:27pm PST

[notify]
Mack CD RE- CGC

Barked: Thu Feb 2, '12 10:17pm PST 
Hey! I'm new here! I'm so glad they decided to get rid of the air cookies! That was one of my biggest pet peeves with rally! Anyway, I still haven't 100% figured out all the new signs. I think the one I am most confused about is the double 360 one???
[notify]

Barked: Sat Apr 28, '12 2:42pm PST 
I tried searching and nothing came up; I am sure there have been plenty of questions like this but I just can't find them so here goes:

1.) I think I read somewhere that a bitch in heat is NOT allowed to participate in AKC rally trials but now I can't find it. Is this true? Is there anything you can do if your bitch goes into heat after the entry fee has been paid, or do you just lose it?

2.) As far as "luring", at least one of my commands (to sit from the down position, needed for 114), I bunch all my fingers together and draw them upward above the dog's head. I think this may appear as luring...do I need to change this?

3.) I do not understand how to do some of the advanced signs and the local dog training club won't talk to me unless I sign up for their class - which is during my college classes so I can't do that. We have two novice legs so we have to start practicing this stuff soon. I would appreciate any help:

101. HALT–About Turn Right and Forward–Handler halts and dog sits. With the dog sitting in heel position, the team turns 180° to the right and immediately moves forward. (Stationary exercise)

Won't this end up with the dog on the right? How can the dog stay sitting while the "team" turns away from where the dog is sitting?

102. HALT–About “U” Turn and Forward–Handler halts and dog sits. With the dog sitting in heel position, the team turns 180° to the left and immediately moves forward. (Stationary exercise)

Same problem - how does the dog stay sitting in the heel position and turn to the left?

107. HALT – 90° Pivot Left – HALT – Handler halts and dog sits. With the dog sitting in heel position, the handler pivots 90° to the left and halts. The dog moves with the handler and sits in heel position. (Stationary exercise)

Does the dog have to move backwards to "move with the handler"?

113. HALT–180° Pivot Left–HALT–Handler halts and dog sits. With the dog sitting in heel position, the handler pivots 180° to the left and halts. The dog moves with the handler and sits in heel position. (Stationary exercise)

Same thing - does the dog move backwards through the 180 or what?

117. Halt–Pivot Left–Forward– The handler halts and the dog sits in heel position. The handler commands and/or signals the dog to heel, then pivots to the left and dog and handler move forward. (Stationary exercise)

Again, how do you not step on the dog here?

Thanks for any help!
[notify]
Maggie NAC- WV-N TN-N- CTL-3 RE

Tunnel Suckin'

Barked: Sat Apr 28, '12 4:00pm PST 
Hi Guest...I'll try my best to answer your questions. I will also high recommend the Rally-obed Yahoo group - there is so much information in that group it is great for those that either train alone or don't have acceess to regular group settings.

1.) I think I read somewhere that a bitch in heat is NOT allowed to participate in AKC rally trials but now I can't find it. Is this true? Is there anything you can do if your bitch goes into heat after the entry fee has been paid, or do you just lose it?

Bitches in season are not allowed - Obedience Regs, Section 18 (remember to always revert back to the Obedience regs if you can't find it specifically in the Rally ones). Read the premium though on refund policy. Some clubs out here in WA keep the entry (too badfrown) and some will refund (either partial or full) with veterinary proof of the season.

2.) As far as "luring", at least one of my commands (to sit from the down position, needed for 114), I bunch all my fingers together and draw them upward above the dog's head. I think this may appear as luring...do I need to change this?

This one can be tricky...some judges may ding for it, but if it obviously looks like a cue (no holding your fingers right above the dogs head like there are cookies there) you may be ok. I personally train so that I don't judges think.

3.) I do not understand how to do some of the advanced signs and the local dog training club won't talk to me unless I sign up for their class - which is during my college classes so I can't do that. We have two novice legs so we have to start practicing this stuff soon. I would appreciate any help:

101. HALT–About Turn Right and Forward–Handler halts and dog sits. With the dog sitting in heel position, the team turns 180° to the right and immediately moves forward. (Stationary exercise)

Won't this end up with the dog on the right? How can the dog stay sitting while the "team" turns away from where the dog is sitting?

(I think this is an old exercise...wording has always been weird)It is just a 180° turn - dog stays in heel. Basically you will walk up towards the sign, and HALT (aka, you stop and dog sits in heel). Then you and the dog will turn to the right 180° with the dog staying with you in heel position.

102. HALT–About “U” Turn and Forward–Handler halts and dog sits. With the dog sitting in heel position, the team turns 180° to the left and immediately moves forward. (Stationary exercise)

Same problem - how does the dog stay sitting in the heel position and turn to the left?

Same as above only turn to the left.

107. HALT – 90° Pivot Left – HALT – Handler halts and dog sits. With the dog sitting in heel position, the handler pivots 90° to the left and halts. The dog moves with the handler and sits in heel position. (Stationary exercise)

Does the dog have to move backwards to "move with the handler"?

Another old sign - basically I teach it as the dog staying in heel position, but I have seen people do it in trials with the dog doing a kind of crab/swing thing - the description does not state "in heel position" so as long as the dog is moving with the handler it should be ok.

113. HALT–180° Pivot Left–HALT–Handler halts and dog sits. With the dog sitting in heel position, the handler pivots 180° to the left and halts. The dog moves with the handler and sits in heel position. (Stationary exercise)

Same thing - does the dog move backwards through the 180 or what?

I teach this the exact same way as the 90° pivot...I want my dog to stay in heel. But I have seen people do it in the crabby/swing thing and do just fine.

117. Halt–Pivot Left–Forward– The handler halts and the dog sits in heel position. The handler commands and/or signals the dog to heel, then pivots to the left and dog and handler move forward. (Stationary exercise)

Again, how do you not step on the dog here?

I come up to the sign and HALT. Then I cue the dog to pivot to the left and we take off towards the left. Judges generally understand that dogs occupy space...but the dog should allow you to pivot in place.

One thing to remember that a pivot is in one place, imagine turning on a dinner plate. A turn can allow you to take some steps.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2