GO!

bikejoring/dog scooter

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Takoda (In- Loving- Memory)

Let\'s Go!

Barked: Thu May 1, '08 11:44am PST 
As someone else mentioned, dogscooter.com has tons of info and you can order the harness, line, and scooter there too.

We have been bikejoring for a few years and just got a scooter this weekend. We weren't sure if we'd like the scooter as well as the bike, but oh my dog is it FUN! We're hooked. blue dog
[notify]
Jasper

Jasper never- gets tired!

Barked: Thu May 1, '08 12:03pm PST 
out of curiosity - why do you guys prefer a scooter over a bike?

I thought I would prefer a bike for two reasons - you can sit down, and you can pedal when required (ie steep hills).

but I'd like to hear from those who prefer scooters and why!
[notify]
Takoda (In- Loving- Memory)

Let\'s Go!

Barked: Thu May 1, '08 2:35pm PST 
I've had the scooter only a week, but so far here's what I like about the scooter vs. the bike thinking:
1. It's a whole lot easier when you have to stop... less motion required than getting off the bike. For example when Takoda suddenly decides to poop and I have to stop quickly then bag it... when there are people blocking the trail, or when we stop for drink breaks.
2. It fits easily in the back of my Jeep Cherokee without putting the seat down so the dog(s) can still ride comfortably in the backseat.
3. I found myself dragging my foot on the ground to slowdown and pushing with my foot rather than pedaling at times on a bike... that might just a personal oddity. laugh out loud
4. I like the feeling standing up, it's like your on a skateboard but have more control... kind of a thril IMO!
5. My dogs have always seemed to have a slight fear of the bike particularly when I'm hooking them up they would sometimes step far away from the bike... but the scooter doesn't seem to bother them at all. shrug

I have used both my mountain bike and a small kid's bike for the past couple years. Always wanted to try a scooter but wasn't sure if I'd like it better so never got around to spending the $$ to order one. Then I came across one locally cheap... best $35 I ever spent! big laugh I was worried about not being able to pedal up hills but so far I've just kicked (hard) and we've made it.

A few more things that could be a pro or a con:
1. The dogs seem to wear out a little faster, probably due to smaller wheels and less help from me pedaling.
2. I seem to get a slightly better workout myself from kicking than I do with the bike
3. In my experience so far, dog pulling scooter seems to be a magnet for people wanting to talk. They seem to think it's cute. With the bike they just got out of the way. Good if you wanna stop and chat and show off your wonderful dog & scooter, bad if you just wanna GO GO GO!

Just my thoughts... I think they both have their own advantages and disadvantages & the rest is probably personal preference!
blue dog
[notify]

Bonny

I love Huskys

Barked: Fri May 2, '08 2:07am PST 
i like the idea of the scooter better cause your high up on a bike, and i think it will be easier to train my dog with a scooter cause if i do fall i havent got far to go lol

and i guess like was said above it looks cool and better stood up kinda feels more like real dog mushing than just sitting on a bike.

i'm waiting for my scooter to arrive i to found a cheap one on ebay lol
[notify]
Kristari's September Calypso

Calypso has- landed!

Barked: Fri May 2, '08 8:22am PST 
Yes, the musher is less confined on a scooter. If a bike goes over, you can't really jump off and prevent the fall (guess how we found THIS out) so there is greater risk of injuries. If a scooter starts to go over, more often than not the musher can jump off and prevent the fall. Not all the time though.

I think you are more likely to hit your knees and elbows on a scooter crash because when you do go over you often hit the ground with your knees. So make sure you get knee and elbow pads if you plan to scooter. Also a helmet.

However, I still prefer the scooter. Since I wear safety gear, I've never had more than a couple of minor bruises and scrapes.

Also, the scooter allows you to kick along (much like you would with a sled). And there is less to get messed up. No chains, pedals or gears to worry about. This is especially true if you crash. The scooter will hold up better than a bike.

Hope I'm not scaring you talking about crashes!
[notify]
Jasper

Jasper never- gets tired!

Barked: Fri May 2, '08 11:57am PST 
thanks guys! great to hear it from a different perspective - i'm trying to get others involved in the sport so this will help me convince some "fence-sitters" that don't like certain aspects of using a bike!
[notify]
Sally

Queen bee

Barked: Thu May 8, '08 2:38pm PST 
We have used both bike and scooter. I like the digler scooter setup with the disk brakes, etc. BUT, I am personally much more comfortable on a mountain bike and feel I have more control over the dogs than on a scooter. It is what I am familiar with, and therefor less I have to think about while concentrating on not getting drug into the brush after bunnies or taking a header off a root! I also think that for hills, bikes are MUCH easier to assist on longer climbs.

Regardless, remember a helmet, lots of water for the dogs, properly fitted harnesses, and HAVE A BLAST!!
[notify]
Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Thu May 8, '08 2:49pm PST 
I have been looking at the Outlaw scooters....way too expensive but I am thinking about convincing my dad to buy old bikes and make one for me. I was playing on one at the dog mushing symposium this year. The only problem I have is that is seems really easy to fall off of...maybe that is just me though.
[notify]
Kristari's September Calypso

Calypso has- landed!

Barked: Sun May 11, '08 6:27am PST 
No easier to fall off than on a sled! LOL
[notify]

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 11:27am PST 
Looking for bikejoring springer options. Any suggestions on suppliers would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2