GO!

bikejoring/dog scooter

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bonny

I love Huskys

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 6:07am PST 
hi i would like to train my dog to pull a dog scooter that i'm thinking of buy does anyone else to dog scootering on here?
i need to no what sort of equipment i need and where i could purchase it.
[notify]
Jasper

Jasper never- gets tired!

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 6:26am PST 
Hi Bonny!

I posted a reply in a recent thread that answers a lot of your questions - have a look at my post at the end of this thread:

BikeJoring

I use a mountain bike as opposed to a scooter, but everything is basically the same (although you may not need the bay-o-net).

Start your dog off slowly - first get him used to the harness without connecting to your scooter/bike. Go for a walk with him on the harness and let him lead. Slowly start to apply pressure so that he has to pull you slightly. Even though he is leading, be sure to control where he goes using the proper commands (look up sled dog commands - gee, haw, hike, on-by, etc) - if you want him to turn to the right issue the command gee and point to where you want to go, and after a few training sessions you'd be surprised how quickly dogs learn these commands.

Once your dog is comfortable enough with his harness and is starting to pull, connect him/her to the scooter/bike. Check out this page for great training techniques for teaching your dog to pull:

Skijor Now - Training your dog to pull

Harnessing your dogs natural behavior is the best way to get going with this sport, and that means incorporating chasing, pack running, and trail running. If you have someone else to bike with, it will help ENORMOUSLY - have your friend bike 10-15 feet in front of your dog and call to him/her when distracted.

Good luck and have fun with bikejoring ! I've only been doing it for the past month and already Jasper and I are addicted!!
[notify]
Kristari's September Calypso

Calypso has- landed!

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 8:17am PST 
Scootering and bikejoring are GREAT ways to exercise! We used to do bikejoring but, after we tried out a mountain scooter, we found we like scootering better.

You might check out dogscooter.com - there is a LOT of information on that site. There are also a couple of great email lists. DogsLoveToRun and SEMushers are both yahoo groups dedicated to dryland mushing sports like scootering and bikejoring.

I think you'll find that this is a great sport for you.
[notify]

Bonny

I love Huskys

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 9:02am PST 
thanks i will check out the sites.
what sort of equiment do you need, as there are several harnessess!
and i need some sort of tug rope.
Its hard to find alot of this stuff in u.k , but looks like a fun way to exercise bonny, i'm sure shes going to enjoy it.applause
[notify]
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 9:15am PST 
I've always wanted to try the scootering thing, or having a dog pull you on roller skates. But since I prefer to share my life with small dogs, I guess I'll have to take up scootering by myself instead BOL. ^_^

If I ever did decide to get a larger breed that's the first thing I'd do. wink
Jasper

Jasper never- gets tired!

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 9:35am PST 
Bonny - the X-Back harnesses are the most popular and work very well. These are custom fit however, so you need to make sure you order the right size for your dog. There are a few measurements you need, just check skijornow for details. If you place your order over the phone, they will help you measure your dog accurrately to ensure the correct fit. If your dog is inbetween sizes, they will send you two harnesses and you send back the one that doesn't fit as well.

Skijornow also has a great towline - it's a two stage bungee (two different bungies attached together). The softer bungie helps with small variants in tension, while the tougher bungie softens out the larger variants in tension. I also have a single stage bungie from a different source, and I MUCH prefer the skjornow two-stage bungie.

Skijor Now Bungee

Quote from site: Manufactured using two Arctic grade bungees (pliable to minus 40 F.) of proprietary length and diameter - the small bungee elongates to absorb light forces against the line; the larger diameter bungee absorbs heavier impacts. The result is a Skijor Now exclusive variable shock absorbing system that makes skijoring much more enjoyable for skijorer and dog

Edited by author Wed Apr 30, '08 9:39am PST

[notify]
Bonny

I love Huskys

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 10:55am PST 
i've had alook about, but like i said most of this equipment is for usa frown i can get the x back harness from uk, its just this tug line!
how do they actually attach?

Well getting scooter in 2 weeks, so best start training bonny with the mush commands.
[notify]
Bonny

I love Huskys

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 11:29am PST 
I have found a uk site, cheer so should be able to get the equipment now.
[notify]
Jasper

Whut?

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 12:46pm PST 
Mom started me on this while at agility trials...I love itway to go
[notify]
Fuzzy- Huskies Dog- Team

'09 Jr. Yukon- Quest- Red Lantern!

Barked: Wed Apr 30, '08 6:26pm PST 
Check out Sled Dog Central. There's a ton of resources and help for mushing, bikejoring, skijoring, etc.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2