GO!

How much protein?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Darwin

Barked: Sat Feb 26, '11 11:06am PST 
I was hoping some experienced Wheaten owners might be able to give us some input on what to feed ours. We've been told that a wheaten shouldn't have more than about 22% protein in their diet. Has anyone else heard this? We've been looking at Fromm products. We like the ingredients in Orijen but seems like they all have high protein content. Acana is around 33% so also a bit too high. Your input would be much appreciated!
[notify]
~Emma~ RL1

Mixed breed,- Pure heart

Barked: Wed Mar 9, '11 5:52pm PST 
hmm, don't know much about kibbles, we do raw. You might try posting in the Health & Nutrition you might get more responses. Good luckwave

ETA:
Have not heard about that though. You might also try the Yahoo Group- Wheaten Terriers, more people are on there.

Edited by author Wed Mar 9, '11 5:54pm PST

[notify]
Fergus TT

mmm... feet.

Barked: Fri Mar 25, '11 6:37am PST 
hmm.. I haven't heard that about protein before. I feed raw, so I'm not sure... big grin
[notify]

Trey

Barked: Sat May 14, '11 7:55pm PST 
I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THE SAME THING, HOW MUCH PROTEIN. SINCE THEY MAY BE PRONE TO PROTEIN WASTING DISEASE, AND ONE OF THE THINGS THEY WILL DO IF DIAGNOSED, WOULD BE TO PUT ON A LOW PROTEIN DIET. I HAVE A ONE YEAR OLD WHEATEN AND HAVE HAD HIM ON A DRY KIBBLE CALLED "VERUS", STILL ON PUPPY FORMULA, AND WILL SWITCH OVER TO ADULT SOON. IT IS SOMEWHAT HARD TO FIND, I HAVE ONE NEAR BY, BUT NOT IN MOST PET STORES. TO ME, IT HAS THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF PROTEIN, AND NOT LISTED AS ONE OF THE BEST OUT THERE BECAUSE OF THAT. IT'S ALL NATURAL, MADE IN THE US AND I HAVE FRIENDS WHO RECOMMENDED IT. SO FAR, HE'S HAPPY AND HEALTHY, NO ALLERGIES. I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR OTHER SUGGESTIONS FROM OTHER WHEATEN OWNERS ON THEIR SUGGESTIONS OF FOOD CHOICES.
[notify]