GO!

Good Apartment Dog?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Thu Sep 25, '08 6:08pm PST 
I'm looking for a medium sized non-shedding apartment dog. I'm asking you Wheaten owners out there if a Wheaten would be a good choice? I really don't have much time to exercise the dog (only 20-30 minutes a day). Would that be enough for a Wheaten? I'm really interested in this breed and I thank you guys in advanced for the help smile .
[notify]
Timtara's Shooting Star

Little Rasco

Barked: Thu Oct 23, '08 6:58pm PST 
I don't think the Wheaten would be the dog for you.

The Wheaten Terrier is an active breed that needs its exercice. Of course there are some lazy ones out there..

My girl looks for trouble then she gets bored. Also, I let her out everyday in in the park. She runs like wild and just won't stop! xD It's cute!

For an appartment with restricted exercice, I would suggest a toy breed like the Yorkie, Maltese... Those dogs can literally get their daily exercice in the room!
[notify]
Sadie

Live, laugh,- love: the- hippie's BFF

Barked: Sun Nov 16, '08 12:36pm PST 
I agree somewhat...but then again, how active of a person are YOU? Are you going to be busy all day long such as being out of the house? I'm at school nearly all day and then come home to my baby. I still live with my family on a farm but I will be moving this next school year for graduate school and Sadie will have to be okay in an apartment or smaller house...however, I am a very active person. So, because of that, I have crate trained her and made sure she knows I'm in charge and acting crazy is on my terms! I also have many mind-energy toys for her, like treat puzzles and such, and I play fetch in the house (down a hallway or something similar) a lot...and really she is great.
[notify]

Bella

Go with the flow- ~

Barked: Sat Mar 28, '09 7:48am PST 
I recently had the great pleasure of adopting my first wheaten puppy and she is a doll! I love her so much! One thing that I had read about this breed is that they are very adaptable to their owner's lifestyle, and because of this fact, can be happy in any type of housing situation. Bella is extremely hyper at times, but also very mellow and calm and others (almost ridiculously so for a 7 month old puppy). When I am not home she is in her crate to avoid any unwanted behavior and she loves being inside of it. If you are in an apartment and want to get a dog that isn't a "toy," then I would highly reccomend a wheaten. Regular exercise is a must as well as consistency and a firm hand in training. Bella has definately adapted to my lifestyle. When I wake up early for work, she is up and ready to go. When I sleep in on a Saturday or Sunday, she will sleep in until I am ready to wake up. I am absolutely in love with this breed and will never own another type of dog. If you have the time to daily walk your dog and can take it out throughout the day, I would absolutely reccommend this breed.
[notify]
Lilly

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 2:16pm PST 
I've had my Wheaten for about 5 months now and she's a great dog. She's the only Wheaten I've ever owned, so I'm just going by what I know from her.

I'd say "no" to the apartment just because Lilly loves being outside so much when it's nice, or even not so nice. We have a medium-sized fenced backyard and she likes to stay out there playing for hours. She even takes naps outside. I try to bring her in, but she often won't come until she's good and ready.

At first, we left her in her kennel all day while we were at work/school, but since around Christmas, I've been letting her roam the house and then going home at lunch to let her outside. She does still like to chew things up, so I just make sure that all of the kids' toys, and our stuff is either put away or high enough that she can't reach it on her hind legs. She's a great dog other than this, which I consider to be puppy behavior, and she'll grow out of it.

I try to walk her once a day, but sometimes only actually do it 3-4 times a week. She loves being active, but is pretty mellow when indoors.

If you decide to get a Wheaten, you might have to compromise on not having an outdoor area for him/her to play in by taking more walks...which I don't see 30 minutes a day really working for that.

Ultimately up to you, but just a few things to consider....
[notify]
Annie

I know I'm cute- rub my belly!

Barked: Mon Jul 5, '10 10:16am PST 
Not all wheaten's are the same. My wheaten can be a bit of a couch pata to at times I have to get her wound up. She doesn't go outside a whole lot (she HATES hot weather) and its been pretty warm since I have had her. Though I play with her in the house a ton. I keep her crated during the day when I am at work the exceptions are when I have been dog sitting and she has a play partner. She is not destructive at all when she has another dog to play with.
[notify]
Buckeye

Eat, Sleep &- Play! Yes, Life- is Good!

Barked: Sat Jul 10, '10 12:46pm PST 
I have never not reccomeneded a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier to someone who wants a medium non-shedding dog, but since you are living in an apartment, it wouldn't be the best choice. Wheaten Terriers are an have an endless amount of energy and love to play. It actually really puzzles me on why they are considered good apartment dogs. I know my two Wheatens would just hate living in an apartment. I've had Buckeye for four years and Brutus for one. I know Wheatens. They love a yard and a bigger area. And plenty of excersise. Wheatens are known for acting like puppies for their entire lives.

Be aware that some Wheatens can live in apartments. If you are planning on getting a female Wheaten, it may turn out okay. Female Wheatens shouldn't reach over 40 pounds. We know a family who has a female who weighs only 30, and another family who had a Wheaten weighing around 30 as well. All of the male Wheatens we know weigh over 40 pounds, including our dogs Brutus and Buckeye. I couldn't tell you yes or no whether you should get a Wheaten or not. Its pretty iffy because some Wheatens are more laid back than others. Some don't mind apartments, but others wouldn't bare to live in one.

This probably isn't much help! I just don't know what to tell you. I don't think it would be ideal to get a Wheaten as an apartment dog, but if you want one, by all means.. go for it! I would look in to the Miniature Schnauzer. I think you'd like this breed. Miniature Shnauzers are actually pretty similar to Wheatens, but are smaller and more laid back. They come in various coat colors, mostly ranging from grey to black, or both. They can be very smart if you train them well. This breed will probably need lots of brushing or grooming, but they do not shed a lot. They may be a little competitive, and are always alert, but they make great pets. They can be very affectionate. Please know that these dogs do need a pretty decent amount of excersise.

If I could I would give a million thumbs up to the Wheaten, but I wouldn't know about one living an apartment life. They are very high energy, but when they are relaxed, they are very sweet and fun. I love them so much, because of how people and dog friendly they are. If I were going to get a Wheaten and I lived in an apartment, I would totally consider the female Wheaten.

You can also check out Poodles or Portuguese Water Dogs. If you do decide to get a smaller breed, look out for Malteses, Coton de Tulears, Bichon Frises, Lhaso Apsos, Shih Tzus, Bologoneses and Lowchens. Please paw mail me if you have any more questions, as I'll gladly answer them. Good luck with finding the perfect pooch!
[notify]

Barked: Tue Nov 22, '11 1:55pm PST 
I have a similar situation... Honestly I'm not even sure if I should be getting a dog, but I really miss having one around. My husband and I got a ferret, but it's just not the same. We live in a 1 bdrm apartment and a dog (we would probably try to rescue) would be crated the majority of 3 days a week. My husb. works retail, so two days during the week he has off, and I have weekends off. I work nearby, so I could even stop at home on lunch to let the dog out to use the bathroom on the three days that neither of us would be home. I'm very active, I would walk / run with the dog at least once a day if not twice - morning and night. (Ideally.) Is this a plan that *could* work or do I really have to wait until we find a bigger place?

Edited to add I grew up with big dogs - a bloodhound bullmastiff mix, a lab, and a german shepherd / lab mix all at different times in my childhood, not to mention tons of cats and other farm type animals. My husband grew up with a bichon... so we're familiar with pets and dogs, just trying to figure out if this is even an option for us.

Edited by author Tue Nov 22, '11 1:57pm PST

[notify]
Annie

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 4:01am PST 
For a long time now NY magazine (I believe) has said that wheatens are among the best apartment dogs. They don't require a ton of room as long as they get enough exercise. My brother has a small condo and my dog was great there for a long time.
[notify]
Annie

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 4:16am PST 
For the other guest don't get a wheaten if you own a ferret that's askin for a problem.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2