GO!

Am I Being Paranoid?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Button

Barked: Mon Sep 2, '13 8:02am PST 
I have a toy dog a Papillion and I also have 4 dogs that are all over 100 pounds. I would not bring any of them to a dog park. I learned a long time ago before I got my Papillion it is not safe for dos at dog parks when I just had my big girls, you can never trust what kind of dog might come into the park. The size of a dog has little to do with how stable, socialized or trained it is. It also has nothing to do with what its owner is like.

Instead I take my pack of dogs to a doggie day camp, where in order to go all the dogs have been tested for temperament before they can join the group. They all have to be up on their shots be and be on some kind of flea treatment. Dogs that are in heat are not welcome and neither are dogs that live in a home with dogs that are in heat until the cycle is over.

If the weather gets to hot or cold there is an inside facility where they can play for part of the day and there is fresh water for both playing in and drinking. They are supervised at all times… by trained professionals.

At doggie day camp they make friends and as an extension of day camp we make play dates with their friends for other adventures at parks, hikes, and home visits. For my larger girls there have become more play dates and less doggie day camp since they have made so many friends. My Papillion has only been at doggie day camp for a month now… but has earned the name Mr. Popular.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Fri Sep 6, '13 10:31am PST 
I just go to the dog park when there is little to no people there.

We don't have segregated parks, big dogs and small dogs are allowed into every dog park here. I usually take Roman to the dog park right when everyone is commuting to work, right after I drop my son off at his school bus stop. There's a dog park blocks away from there. This is usually the time where small dog owners go to the dog park. There are sometimes big dogs around, and Roman gets along wonderfully with them, visa versa. I keep a constant eye out for trouble makers and if there are, I leash Roman and head out.

It's okay to be paranoid about it. A lot of dog owners, big or small, don't go to the dog park because there are people that bring in dogs that they themselves can't manage. It can be either small or big dogs, I've met with both.

Just stick to times where you know there won't be many people there, or none at all and you'll be fine. Just keep watch of the other dogs around you and watch for signs of over-excitement and aggression. If you spot it, calmly put your dogs on leash and walk out. It seems like a lot of work, but it's worth it. If more people did that, and people didn't bring their reactive dogs to the park, people wouldn't be paranoid about the dog park anymore... well not as paranoid anyways.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sat Sep 7, '13 8:04am PST 
Bumping to drown the spambots
[notify]

Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 8:55am PST 
Bumping to drown the spambots AGAIN
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)