GO!

Is this breed related or is she just naturally skinny?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Garnet

TNT comes in- small packages

Barked: Fri Aug 23, '13 10:01pm PST 
Garnet is a 1 year old spayed Boston Terrier Min Pin mix who has always been skinny even before the spay. She normally weighs around 10.8 to 11.5 pounds. She looks like she is never fed but she eats at her leisure 24/7. Her dad a pure bred Boston is the same way at 6 years old. Her mom was 16 pounds when she was spayed last year and was really chunky. I have tried feeding her higher protein foods like Taste Of The Wild and some of the others but she still will NOT gain weight. She has been to the vet several times. Once to have stitches put in her front leg after getting in a fight with a cat. Then again when her spay glue came unglued and she had an infection and had stitches put in then to get her back leg looked at then to have the x-ray done that showed a fracture to the leading edge of her tibia when she was a very young pup. The vet says she is healthy and is not worried about her HIGH body temp because she is like her mom and very warm all the time. He has done blood work and there is no infection in the blood that would cause the high body temp and he has done several fecal tests and she does not have worms of any type. Her brother has an appointment next saterday to get his rabies shot and get checked for worms. He is almost twice her weight at the same age. Sending her to a rescue as I am sure someone is going to suggest is NOT an option as we have too much money invested in her care. The other dogs that havent been altered yet ARE going in to be altered starting the first part of next month as well as getting their vaccines. It would have been done sooner but even the best plans get screwed up. We had to move from where we were staying because the owner of Garnet's mom and dad was abusing not only our dogs by hitting and kicking them and screaming at them but also abusing us verbally and making our lives a living hell. Then our only means of transportation broke down and the parts and labor to get it fixed comes out to over $300.00. Then we found a better house that is safer FINALLY. But right now I am trying to figure out if Garnet is just naturally skinny or if its related to her dad's breed.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Aug 23, '13 10:20pm PST 
I wouldn't say it is breed related, while I don't have any of my own experience with Boston Terriers, I do have several friends that have them or have had them in the past and to be honest, they have all had problems keeping weight off. Good Luck with Garnet.
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Sat Aug 24, '13 2:19pm PST 
Is she so thin her bones are sticking out? From what I could see of the photos she looks fine (and cute! I like slim/lithe dogs smile ). If you still think she is too thin perhaps she was stressed out from the previous living situation, or she could still be going through her growing phase. I don't know why you thought anyone would suggest re-homing? How many dogs do you have? Do you think she is being stressed out by them?thinking Btw, glad ya'll were able to move and find a better place.way to go

Edited by author Sat Aug 24, '13 2:22pm PST

[notify]

Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sat Aug 24, '13 6:27pm PST 
Sending her to a rescue as I am sure someone is going to suggest is NOT an option as we have too much money invested in her care

Why would anyone suggest you "send her to a rescue" for being skinny?

Like Twister said, she looks fine to me. That second shot of her seems to show good muscle definition in her back thigh. Considering her small size I'd say around 10/11,lbs is about right.
[notify]
Garnet

TNT comes in- small packages

Barked: Sun Aug 25, '13 12:19am PST 
She is used to the rest of the dogs. Right now her hip bones are showing which they do now and then. Her vet bill alone has run us right at $300.00 just in stitches,her spay, the fix stitches,the exam of her leg and then her x-ray. I am glad too that we moved because where we are moving from the roof leaks in the kitchen so bad that during a rain you dont dare even consider cooking because you will get electrocuted because the leak is over the stove plus the roof leaks in the room where the breaker box is about a foot from where the breaker box is located. As for people telling me to send her to a rescue people think that my dogs arent getting proper care. She is tiny but she thinks she is the size of Tank if not bigger. I will list the dogs cause I am too tired today to try and count them. There is Hailie, Tundra, Drizzit, Cheveyo, Abrams Tank, Queen Belladonna, Garnet and Blaze and right now Tank and Bella's brother Mojo is visiting because his owners who own Hailie's sister Molly asked me to take care of him because he is trying to bite the guy who comes over to care for the other dogs while they are both working. I think the guy that Mojo's owner has caring for the other dogs has been beating Mojo because Mojo will cringe away if you raise your hand to pet him,he wasnt like that when he went back to them when we weaned him off Hailie. For some reason Molly wouldnt feed him or Tank,so Hailie who had lost her pups became their milk mom. Garnet plays with Mojo or tries to but I am afraid Mojo will accidentally hurt her. Mojo's owner is supplying us with food for him. I have already set up an appointment for Blaze and Cheveyo to get their shots next Sat. Then I am going to set up the appointment for Tundra and Drizzit to get spayed next Tues. I cant take them in on Monday because of classes, my first one being at 8:00 am. My husband just got an increase in his VA disability rating last month so the funds are better than they were when Maggie was alive and on meds that didnt do any good.
[notify]
Twister

forever loved

Barked: Sun Aug 25, '13 11:55am PST 
Ah, well it sounds like you are getting things figured out. Perhaps she just needs a bit of time for things to settle down from everything that was going on (get spayed and all that). I'm sure she will be fine. I know some times people will add something like rice to their food for filler if they are on the skinny side.puppy
[notify]