GO!

Going camping!

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 2:55pm PST 
Any tips, tricks, or advice?

I've been camping with dogs before... but never a small dog. We'll be doing a lot of hiking (which I am buying a backpack that is made for dogs just incase he gets tired) and sitting around the campfire. This is just a 3 day trip but I'll be taking a week long camping trip in August.
[notify]
Keeva

My name is- Gaelic for- "Gentle"

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 5:53pm PST 
I don't have advice but will be watching your post. Please let us know how it goes. I am dying to take my pup camping but I chicken out as I don't know how she would do sleeping in a tent, etc. So...please let us know how your trip goes and any advice you can give us from your own trip! have fun!applause
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 8:40pm PST 
My dog is 15 pounds. he goes hiking and camping. When he hikes, he does better than me. He usually is in the front. My dog does not do well on hikes rated as difficult, but then he is also 12 years old. I have only put him in a backpack once. That hike was a difficult above treeline one. Sometimes I have to carry him over rivers and streams.

Small dogs are more vulnerable to wild animals. I always want my dog in sight. Small dogs also have fast metabolism rates. Bring your dog snacks so he can reload and take breaks. You should bring enough water for you and your dog. Bring a dish and keep separate water bottles, so you can put undrank water back in the dog's water bottle.

When I camp with him, he does very well. He slept in the tent just fine. You should bring a tie out for you dog, so he does not wander away.

In my dog's profile there are pictures from hikes. In one picture he is laying on top of a truck load of camping gear. He knew when I was going camping and wanted to make sure he was going.
[notify]

Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 8:53pm PST 
Thanks Milton!

I think I might have to go doggie sweater shopping too just because Roman has really thin hair and might get cold in the night, either that or he can curl up in the sleeping bag with me. I have quite a number of tie outs, mainly because sometimes my family sometimes forgets their tie outs for their bigger dogs... I do have to get a smaller one for Roman... he does NOT like the ones I have right now. The clips are HUGE. lol

It's nice to know that someone else is very active in the outdoors with their small dog, especially tenting. Everyone that I know or have known that goes tenting always left their small dog at home. It is something I will not do. Roman has every right to go tenting as I do. lol
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 10:32pm PST 
If you're doing lots of miles, then your guy should have no problem being in a tent.

My tip.. Hike someplace with a lot of rivers / lakes. My backpack is 35lb loaded up, and if I had to carry water (a gallon is 8lb) for 4 (3..) large dogs, I'd be carrying a lot. Roman is small, but will get dehydrated a lot quicker as well. Wouldn't surprise me if he needed a whole gallon to himself.

I also take a tube of Nutri-Cal, which is a high-calorie gel. When we're on the trail Nare won't take many treats during the hike, but he needs the energy because he is burning a lot of fuel. So he will eat like 3 or 4 dog biscuits, and I slather them in Nutri-Cal so he gets a little more to hold him off until we settle for the night.

I trim nails a week before and trim toe fur.
Take a brush and brush him while on the trail.
Put a light on his collar for night time stuff.
Always pack 2-3 extra days worth of food.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 1:31am PST 
For the trip in August, we are doing a 7 hour hike around a lake that I do every year, I have a large backpack that I will be using for snacks and lots of water. That will go on my back, the doggie backpack I'm getting for Roman is a front backpack, so it works wonderfully.
[notify]
Darcy

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 2:23am PST 
I’m sorry, but I don’t have any advice. I have large dogs. I will tell you that your pup should sleep in the tent with you and not outside.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 7:33am PST 
Lol! Of course he's sleeping in the tent with me! It gets cold at night in the mountains, plus predators, plus we've always let the big dogs sleep in the tent with us, even our Rottie! I wouldn't dare dream of leaving Roman outside for fear that I woul wake up to an empty chain in the morning. confused
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 2:26pm PST 
Have fun! We have never done that long of a hike but they love being in the outdoors and around the fire. If he has never been around a fire before just keep an eye on him. Some dogs just seem to have no awareness of fire or its danger. Angus has burned his tail a couple of times and I knew a dog that would try and get coals.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 9:44pm PST 
I have a couple of tie outs that I can use so he won't get close enough to burn himself with fire, just be close enough to stay warm. smile If I have to... he'll go into my sweater, which happens all the time when he's cold.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2