GO!

My pup has a weird skin rash

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Barked: Mon Jul 1, '13 11:47pm PST 
So we were at the vet like 2 weeks ago for our flee /tick meds and a check up. So today I am laying here cuddling with my pup watching tv and I see a flea! Ugh!!! So I pick her up grab the flea shampoo and get ready to give her a bath before we do bath time I always sit on the floor and play with her so she knows she is a good girl so she rolls on her belly and I see this rash that I think popped up over night I have pictures but I don't know how to upload them. I really need help as the vet I closed and I don't know whether it is worth going to the emergency vet. She doesn't seem to be in pain she is still running around and playing fine. Ps. I scratched the bath idea in case the shampoo will hurt her more
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 11:14pm PST 
She may just be allergic to fleas. Clyde gets ugly little rashes from flea-bites because his skin is probably sensitive to the fleas' saliva.

I believe the flea you found will die in no time because, if you administered oral flea meds, they are supposed to make the dog's blood poisonous to fleas.

I would only begin to worry if the puppy suddenly started acting depressed, loss of appetite, massive swelling, lots of hives, etc. A small rash is something to watch (and it may be a good idea to administer antiseptic dog lotion), but not panic over.

Best of wishes with your dog.puppy

Edited by author Tue Jul 2, '13 11:14pm PST

[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 8:50pm PST 
I agree with Clyde. Watch it carefully and if it starts spreading, call your vet.
[notify]