GO!

Training A Small Dog

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3  
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Fri Jun 21, '13 7:13pm PST 
Roman seems to be a bit better with the rain today. It's been raining constantly for 3 days now, we're actually in a state of emergency here because of flooding. Luckily we live on high ground.

One thing that I have been noticing is that Roman is a pleaser. When I went into the store briefly I left him outside with my son. I told him to sit and stay. Roman did as told, it was my son who was moving all over the place an trying to get Roman to move with him. Roman tried to stay where he was as best he could. I was quite proud of him.... Not of my son. Lol
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 9:12am PST 
You're very lucky to be on high ground! Some of my family was in the evacuation area, I've yet to hear if their house survived.

He'll have to get used to the rain, it's a wet year. frown
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 2:41pm PST 
My sister was a block away from an evac area, very close to downtown. One of my friends it was the same way except a different area. They both have dogs and I was really scared for them!
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jul 26, '13 3:00pm PST 
nice reply now i can train my small dog smile way to go
[notify]
Shiloh

"Are You Going- to Eat That?"

Barked: Sat Jul 27, '13 12:30pm PST 
It does take them time to settle in. I'm lucky in that all my dogs are very food motivated, but even still..it doesn't guarantee success every time. For instance, Shiloh (a total food girl) will not jump over even the lowest agility bar. She will just eye the treat, and walk around it like she isn't making the connection and views it as something in her way.

She will sit for a treat, but that's about it so far.

The others will all jump over the thing for food, and will do other tricks as well. Shiloh is all about the food, so much that her focus is laser-intense on just that.

I tried the clicker, but it scared her.

= /

It's okay though. She's a good girl who doesn't have any behavior issues for the most part. She doesn't really have to jump over agility bars if she doesn't want to.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 9:22pm PST 
Hahaha!

Roman is not too treat motivated. I wish he was! I have tried everything in my power to teach him down, but NOPE! I've tried every sort of treat. So I'm now trying to "capture" the behaviour with the treats/clicker but that's hard to do when he seems to lay down when I'm not looking or busy. It has taken him up to 20 minutes to lay down if I'm paying attention/pretending to ignore him and he knows there's treats. shrug He's a smart boy... I just think he's stubborn. laugh out loud
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Tue Aug 6, '13 3:36pm PST 
mine are excessively, obsessively treat motivated. The problem is that I can't treat them too much because I would have well trained dogs, but they would be obese dogs.

My dogs flip over squares of sushi nori. Since it's on'y 30 calories per human serving, and you need a LOT to make a serving they get all the seaweed they want. Tehy think its tasty, wakame and kombu too. Especially if I use the kombu to make beans, and then slice it up and let them eat it. nom nom nom.
[notify]
Cody

Not dry biscuits- again!

Barked: Wed Aug 7, '13 8:54pm PST 
Yes, agree with previous comments about bringing your self down to your dog's level so they don't feel intimidated.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 28)  
1  2  3