GO!

Training A Small Dog

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 6:22am PST 
I have always owned big dogs and use positive training and use high value rewards. this is the first time I've owned a small dog and I have tried everything for high value rewards (even before I adopted him he was a foster at my moms house) and he doesn't seem to like them at all. He's a relatively good dog already, I just want to know some tips or tricks to maybe make training a little smoother.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 7:51am PST 
Okay well first off I don't really see this as a small dog issue so much as a motivation issue. Plus you just got him not that long ago and it sounds like he's been through a few things before ended up with you. So it might be a combination of finding out what his motivation is which might be a food you haven't tried yet or it might not even be food, it might be praise, a walk, a snuggle, playing etc.

Being that you used to have large dogs you might be used to doing everything standing up which would now put you in a very hovery stance over this new dog. I would try sitting down at his level to train a few things so he can see your face better.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 8:54am PST 
I never thought of crouching down. Thank you! Tomorrow I'm going to the butchers to see if some good quality meat could be used as treats.
[notify]

Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 11:16am PST 
Some treats you might want to try if you haven't already are cheese, chicken, dried liver, sausage. I also found this tube type thingy online that squirted out the most nasty smelling paste, but sent my two wild for it. So much in fact that when I dropped the tube on a walk once, Missy ran back, picked it up and carried it back! laugh out loud

I echo everything Jewel said though way to go
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 1:30pm PST 
I have tried chicken and liver. He looked at me and walked away. Lol

I'll try cheese tonight.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 5:13pm PST 
Give him some time to settle in, and you may find he has more interest in many things, including food, toys, and petting. When Addy first arrived, it took about three months before I truly saw her full personality.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 7:39pm PST 
Try freeze dried salmon. It smells awful I've never met a dog or cat that didn't love it. Stella and chewys makes a raw freeze dried salmon and evangers makes a cooked one. They are both too big for small dogs but u can just break them up.ni have an Italian greyhound who is the pickiest eater on the planet and he loves both of these.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 11:11pm PST 
Hi, just new here... but I enjoy reading all your posts here. smile
I hope this can help you.

Don't Loom over your dog...

Small dogs often can be threatened by the size of the person training them. If you loom over your small dog, he might be intimidated, unresponsive and even defensive while you're trying to teach him a new skill.

Because your body language is very important to consider when training your dog, make sure that you're working at his level. When you first start to train him, get down on the floor or place him on a chair or another surface that is at your height. Once you've been training for a while and your dog has grown more comfortable with the skill you're working on, you can then stand in an upright position.

Good luck!
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 1:12am PST 
Give him some time to settle in, and you may find he has more interest in many things, including food, toys, and petting. When Addy first arrived, it took about three months before I truly saw her full personality.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 4:21am PST 
I'm with Addy...when Toto came, it was a full three months before he would even consider ANY treat and maybe sniff it. Now he is crazy for anything meat or cheese, especially string cheese and bologna.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3