GO!

reverse sneezing

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 11:17pm PST 
Riku has reminded me about the humidifier. I use one of those year around to help with breaking when teh air is dry. It helps both jake and I deal with seasonal allergies.

** you may have been giving her too much benedryl. If you kept forcing pills down her after she barfed them up.

Taka brake and try again in a few hours. Pill pockets may be the only way to go. While they are expensive they get and keep the pills down. I can give the pills straight to jake from the tin. Becasue i taught jake pills were an awesome thing. He thinks they'e treats thans to the pill pockets.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 11:17am PST 
I would make a vet appointment so they can hear it themselves. I had a border collie who did reverse sneezing, particularly on walks...when she wasn't busy choking herself. But the frequency and wheezing, I would be concerned. If it is just allergies the vet can tell you and then you'll know. But I would have the vet hear it in person.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Apr 29, '13 11:06am PST 
I agree and if your vet isn't taking your seriously, find a different vet who will. Good Luck.

Edited by author Mon Apr 29, '13 11:07am PST

[notify]

Simba

Quieres pelear?!

Barked: Tue May 7, '13 2:37pm PST 
Hi, I have an AKC registered Chi male I've had since he was 6, & he's 14 now. He "reverse sneezes" & has gotten worse through the years. I have several others that do it when they experience strong emotion, like him, but not nearly as frequently. I've done a mountain of research on the subject and the word from vets is that it's due to "collapsing trachea", a genetic weakness of many breeds of small dogs. I'm mystified as to how this could be correctly called "sneezing' if that's the case, because I've seen dogs sneeze all my life and that's NOT what happens. They sneeze like any other animal and us, and it SOUNDS like a sneeze. Also, calling this phenomenon " revere sneezing" gives people the erroneous idea that it isn't serious when really, if it progresses it really is. Some vets recommend euthanasia if it becomes too severe. After asking multiple vets about it and looking everywhere for alternative answers for years, I finally found an article online authored by a vet that said theophylline will help in a lot of cases. I now use it for Simba, and it helps him considerably. Sorry I no longer have the link, but pm me for additional info if you like.
[notify]
Bridger

Scratch my butt- mom scratch my- butt!!

Barked: Thu May 9, '13 3:30pm PST 
My 2 dogs Chuey and Baxter have it. My vet said you can give them Benadryl, but that doesn't sound like it's helping. My dogs don't have the congestion though. They've been doing it for years.
[notify]
Johnny

Barked: Fri Aug 23, '13 11:35am PST 
Hi, everyone! I'm from Russia (sorry for my english) and the reverse sneezing is not really studied here unfortunately( So I'm asking you..
Johnny is 3 years old and he's having this episodes since I can remember.. About few times a month..But several weeks ago he had a huge episode. It lasted for an hour or so. And our vet couldn't say anithing, we checked his heart and hopefully it is ok. He sad it could be reverse sneezing or maybe tracheal collapse. I read forums about the symptoms,watched vidoes and think (and hope) that Jo's having reverse sneezing, not collapse.
Episodes often happen when he is very excited (and he is very excited very very often! even when i wake up at the morning) and when he's playing whith his toys and rolling over them. I'm trying to stop this things but i can't predict them all the time. Now episodes lasts for a minute or so and John feels normal as I can see, I mean his mood doesn't change after episodes..

And everything would be fine, but after that huge episode he is having reverse sneezing almost every day, sometimes few times a day( What do you think about it? Should I be worried about that (because I really am).. And it is a huge problem for us to go to the vet and check his throat cause Johnny hate vets.....) So it is almost impossible to open his mouth.. But we did the xray, vet said that Jo has a little constriction of trachea but nothing serious.

If you could say anithing helpfull for us I would be very happy!

Edited by author Fri Aug 23, '13 11:39am PST

[notify]
Bridger

Barked: Mon Aug 26, '13 4:35pm PST 
Johnny, my dogs have it. It's very common. Try giving him Benedryl. If that upsets his stomach mix in some cooked rice with his food. I wouldn't be too worried, that's probably all it is. Just watch to make sure he is eating and drinking. Any more questions, please ask.smile
[notify]
Johnny

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 3:13am PST 
Thank you very much for your answer. Could you say please the dosage of Benadryl? His weight is about 4,5 kilos (9-10 pounds)
[notify]
Bridger

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 1:15pm PST 
I would say 1/2 of a tablet. My dogs are all over 90 pounds and I give them 2-3.
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Tue Aug 27, '13 10:48pm PST 
yeah, my vet says half a tab for my 8lb chis every 12 hours. you can give 1 tablet for every 15 lbs of dog it's a really safe very well proven and understood drug that dogs tolerate better than humans do.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3