GO!

reverse sneezing

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Mia

One word:- relentless

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 8:45am PST 
Mia has been "reverse sneezing" for a while now. It was something that happened once in a while, randomly during the night (nothing major). If you've never heard of "reverse sneezing" you can youtube it, it's terrifying!

Now I'm just stuck on what to do. For over 24 hours now, she is practically gasping for air every time it happens. I called and talked to the vet, and they said to give her half a benadryl every 12 hours. Well, both times now, she has thrown up the benadryl. So I don't even think she's keeping it down! Within the last day or two, she has been miserable, and I'm just so worried about her.

Her symptoms: you can tell she's "congested" or has a stuffy nose. It sounds like it's both in her nose and throat, reverse sneezing episodes for about 30 seconds to a minute. The episodes happen almost every half hour. She's still eating and drinking, but throwing up any time we give her benadryl (with a swish of peanut butter).

My husband agrees to hold of on taking her to the vet, but how long do we wait? Has anyone else experienced "reverse sneezing" this frequently? Is this just the start to really bad allergies, and it will pass?

Thanks for listening!
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 9:44am PST 
Jewel does the reverse sneezing but never like what you're discribing. I have no advice, I would have taken her to the vet by now.
[notify]
Peter Parker

Peace, Love &- Dachshunds

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 10:17am PST 
Peter has done this is whole life. He's 11 now. From what I understand it's somewhat normal, if that's what you want to call it. Peter's is mild and over the years I've noticed it gets worse when my allergies act up also. There are LOTS of pollens and so forth here. So I contribute it to that. I've asked my vet about it and he says it's normal too. We get 2x yearly bloodwork, routine check ups ect..and nothing abnormal has ever come up. I find that when I cup his nose and hold his nostrils down a little that helps. And also holding their neck up and rubbing their throats help.

Just wanted to add: if she is congested and is having the episodes frequently I would go to the vet. Peter only RS's a few times a month if even that at times. hope you are ok.

Edited by author Thu Apr 25, '13 10:20am PST

[notify]

Mia

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 10:20am PST 
I am so glad to see a few responses. I am new to using a forum, but I was hoping I'd enjoy using it. Thank you for your responses so far. I've been on the phone with the vet, and they recommended the benadryl, agreeing that this is normal. I just don't know whether to keep calling back and saying, "Now she's throwing up the benadryl...she's still sneezing all night long..." I don't want to wear out my customer badge at the vet. But ultimately, I want to make sure my Mia girl is okay!
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 11:32am PST 
Jake does this from time to time. he reverse sneezes when he's exceptionally excited, having a dream or has allergy problems. Jake makes that conjested sound too. if he's been out sniffing grass and stuff all days. I give jake benedryl pretty much 24/7 during allergy season if he's going to be outside for more then 15 minutes. Or i'll pay for it all night with the congested nose and a possible reverse sneeze issue.

When giving the benedryl give it with food. that might help her stomach. if she's throwing it up becuase you're forcing it down her throat hide it in peanut butter. that gets the pill down and then she's too busy cleaning her mouth to spit it back up.

good luck.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 1:07pm PST 
I'd phone back.
[notify]
Mia

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 3:02pm PST 
Mr. Jake,

Thank you for your response! Any other suggestions on how to give Mia a half pill of benadryl? I hid it in a small swipe of peanut butter and she licks it right off and it goes down great. She threw it up both times. I'm trying to think of what other food I can hide it in for her to gobble up.

She is terrible with liquid medicines and never takes them well.

Thanks so much for your help!
[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 1:14pm PST 
How is your pup today?

For pills, try a hot dog, or a piece of cheese. I usually cut three or four bite sized pieces, feed a piece without a pill, followed by the piece with the pill, followed by another piece without a pill. That way they don’t have time to chew much or think about what they’re eating, it just goes right down.

My dogs will reverse sneeze every now and then, but nothing like what you are describing. I’m not sure where you live, but here it’s the start of fox tail season, they can be pretty nasty if they get into the ears or nose. Considering that it came on suddenly and is making her uncomfortable, I’d probably make an appointment with the vet, just to be safe.
[notify]
Riku

ALWAYS blame the- cat!

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 4:07pm PST 
Riku does this all the time. Vet said it's normal, has to do with nasal passages being so small. He too would vomit when the 'snuffles' were extremely long. With my vets OK, I tried vicks vapo rub, works wonders! Sometimes all he has to do is sniff the jar, other times I put a small amount on the fur directly above his nose. It has never failed cheer He even comes right to us now because he knows it will help. (he does lick it off, but vet OK'd this too) Hope your pup feels better big hug
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 6:43pm PST 
Maybe the mix with the peanut butter is making him sick. My dogs can get pretty bad with the reverse sneezing certain times of the year too. Benedryl definitely helps. I like to use something mushy for pills. Bill jac treats mushed around the pill, zukez, cheese, pill pockets. 1/2 a pill.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3