GO!

HELP! Picky Eater Shih Tzu!

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Yuki

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 4:54am PST 
My Shih Tzu, Yuki, just turned a year old last March 25. When he was about 9 months old, he eats normally (dry dog food) until my mom started to give him bread. Yuki, now, rarely eats rather refuses to eat his dog food. I really don't know what to do. I think he has gotten a bit tinier than he was before when he was still used to the dog food. I'm afraid he is not getting the nutrients he needs with the bread. We sometimes refuse to feed him bread but because we can't attain to see him sad, we give him anyway.

I need help. How can I make him get back to his normal eating habits? cry
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 4:08pm PST 
Stella and chewys frozen raw patties work for my picky eater go to www.stellaandchewys.com for more info. Call their phone number too they r very helpful they will tell u how much to feed and everything.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 5:54pm PST 
A healthy dog will not let itself starve. Put the regular food down for breakfast, no additives, no toppers. Leave it down for 15 minutes. Pick up whatever is uneaten. Repeat the same thing at dinner time. Do not feed the dog anything else; no treats, no bread. Don't hand feed it or make a big fuss over it. It may take a couple of days but if you are firm and don't give in, the dog will eat.

This is all assuming that the dog is healthy, has no dental issues or anything like that.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Apr 10, '13 7:26pm PST 
Maybe you could add in something more to his food that could make it a lot more appealing to him? Does he just normally have those dry food? Does he not have anything else he likes to eat aside from that?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 10:22am PST 
I agree with Noah,your dog needs to learn to eat it's own food again. I would visit the vet to rule out any health issues first,then do what Noah suggested.

No treats,bread,table food or other snacks or bits of anything.
Put the regular food down at a set time each day,give the dog 15 minutes to eat,if they refuse,pick it up and they get nothing until the next set mealtime. When they get hungry,they will eat. No healthy dog will starve with food available. It may seem harsh but honestly is the only thing that really works. Giving in out of pity,guilt,or fear of harm,simply teaches them to hold out for something better knowing that if they do,you will in time give in. The tough love approach is hard for a few days on everyone but is worlds better for your dogs long term health. Bread is not going to give your dog the nutrients it needs to be healthy and happy. Eating a quality food designed to be complete will.wishes
[notify]
Rambo

Rambo & Fancy CC- littermates

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 4:47pm PST 
So he's been eating mostly only bread for 3 months? Yes, you need to go the tough love route. That diet is way unbalanced. We have to remember with small dogs that they don't eat much, it's taken a while for me to realize mine will eat less than a half a cup of kibble twice a day. I still feel like they don't eat enough but they only weigh 6 pounds. TOUGH LOVE!!!
[notify]
Cosmos and- Bailey

Biker Dog!

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 7:59pm PST 
Yes, refuse food until he eats kibble, it is the only way. I leave my dogs food down all day though, they have monitored themselves pretty well on there own. But last year when I noticed a decrease in food consumption, I put the treats away, the food consumption went back up and I forced myself to give out less treats. It's not good for your dog to eat mostly bread, in fact, in such a small body, your dog could be loosing important nutrients that can result in major health issues. Naturally, a dog would never eat bread or wheat, sugar, yeast, whatever, not to mention that bread is low in protein! Believe me, you will do your dog a better service by creating a situation where he may not eat for a few days then you are by allowing him to eat a bread diet. In a way, you are giving candy to a kid because the kid refuses to eat anything else, that's bad parenting.

I'm not trying to lecture you, I'm just making a point. I know it's scary to think of your dog not eating for a few days but it is the best thing for your dog in the long run!
[notify]

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 11:14am PST 
You might try adding a spoonful of canned food to your regular kibble and adding hot water to make it "mushy" I have a very picky shih tzu and she eats this up!
[notify]

Barked: Sat May 25, '13 8:16pm PST 
Our jack Russell is very finicky too. We found this stuff called shake yums. You shake it on their food. Randy loves it. You might try that. They have a website.
[notify]
Gunther

Giant Shih Tzu

Barked: Sun May 26, '13 2:29pm PST 
My Shih Tzu eats his dry scoop of EVO every day. Don't follow the advice of adding something to the food. This encourages finickiness. He won't allow himself to starve, and dogs can easily go a few days without food. Bread is terrible for dogs, so stop feeding it to him altogether. He WILL eat the kibble again if you stop giving in.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2