GO!

Why does she do this?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 11:07pm PST 
I own a seven year old chihuahua. She is litter box trained.
Here's what she does that drives me bonkers. If I'm in the room with her, she potties in the box perfectly fine. I don't even have to be paying attention to her. I can even be asleep and she pees in her box like she is supposed to.
When I'm not in the room, however, she goes right outside the box. (I have a water proof table cloth on the floor where she goes, so it doesn't cause any problems other than being inconvenient).

Why does she do this? It almost seems like she is in such a big hurry to get back to me that she doesn't take the time to walk the extra two steps to go in the box.
But that doesn't seem true either because she does that when I'm not home too.

Is there anything I can do to keep her from doing this? I can't stay in the room with her twenty four seven.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Tue Mar 26, '13 3:06pm PST 
You could use disposable potty pads under the box instead that way u can just throw them away.
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 2:19pm PST 
Have you thoroughly cleaned the waterproof mat with an enzymatic cleaner lately? Dogs develop habits of pottying in and around areas that smell like their own waste so if the mat smells like pee to her (soap, water, and/or detergent doesn't remove the smell entirely) she will likely go on it.

Our chihuahua pup, Louie had issues with eliminating just outside his pee pads' coverage. We just kept cleaning the floor with enzymatic cleaner and he eventually understood that the pad is the only thing that will retain his smell. He now only goes on it and not the floor just outside its "zone".
[notify]