GO!

Ruff! Food, toys, and all the good stuff.

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Buttons

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 9:59am PST 
Hi. I just got my puppy yesterday and tomorrow he is at his 8 weeks.

I went to Petsmart yesterday and bought him food and treats and some other items. For food I bought Pedigree. I know is not the best dog food brand, but he was on it so I was suggested hat we continue with it and slowly transition him into something new and better for him.

As treats, we only bought the Wet Nose Peanut Butter Star treats.

We bout him a crate, bed, training pads, dog bowls, the stain/odor removal, and two XS squeak toys.

We need to buy a carrier when there are some.

What other items should I get him? Thanks.
[notify]
Ty

Crunchy

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 10:11pm PST 
Congrats on the new puppy edition! He is a doll smile Sounds like you have gotten him a lot of good stuff! I think you have gotten him plenty for now! You may want to get him a brush and some doggy shampoo/conditioner for his doggy baths smile and I think you are smart to transition him off of Pedigree! Not a very good brand. Search for something with NO corn or grains! But you probably already knew that... Try to buy based on the ingredients you read that are in it. A good rule to go by is if it has things listed in it that you yourself wouldn't eat then don't buy it! You want something with meats listed preferably as the first 5 ingredients. You certainly do not want corn as the first ingredient! Blue Buffalo is a great brand as Taste of the Wild is. Nutro is also pretty good. I am currently feeding my Pom 4Health. I purchased it at a local Tractor Supply. I'm sure it could be bought at a Pet store however. It was cheaper than some of the others I listed and is healthy for my baby and he loves it smile Just stay away from commercial brands and you should be okay. Pretty much if you can get it from Walmart or grocery store, it probably isn't the best brand for your baby! Again, congrats on the new addition and I hope I helped a little! Any other questions feel free to ask! Good luck!!!!! smile
[notify]
Ty

Crunchy

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 11:01pm PST 
Oh! Also, he will need a harness and leash smile I say harness instead of collar because I DO NOT like collars. confused if the dog tries to pull away from you the collar will choke him and could do some damage over time! Harness proves to be much better and more comfortable on the, in my opinion (plus you can get some really cute ones) hehe way to go even if you are just going to teach him to go inside on puppy pads, you will want to get him leash & harness so he can get his exercise and go on walks with you smile My pommy LOVES being outside dog walk
[notify]

Mya

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 8:15am PST 
Buttons is just so cute, what fun a new puppy. Ty is right, stay away from by-products, corns, and wheat ingredients. Do not digest well plus some dogs develop allergies to corn and wheat. Since Buttons is a probabaly going to be not more than ten pounds, toy breed would be a good choice as the kibble is very small for their tiny teeth and mouth. I have a mini doxie who is 10 lbs and she is fed Nutro Natural Choice Toy Breed with chicken. She loves it. She gets 1/2 cup twice a day and stays trim and active. With a high end food they are going to poop less, better skin and coat and less vet bills. Let us know how Buttons is doing.
[notify]
Buttons

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 4:29pm PST 
We bought him a harness recently and he does not like it at all! frown I returned it for now until he gets a little bigger before buying it again for him and hopefully he'll like it then.

Also, he's starting to bite...a lot. I tell him no. And I do walk out of the room and ignore him by turning around and looking at the ceiling, but he's still biting. Any ideas on how to stop the biting? frown
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 8:30am PST 
He's probably just acting crazy with the biting. If he bites you, turn around and ignore him until he gets bored and goes away. It shouldn't take too long since puppies have the attention span of a gnat anyway. wink Then attention can resume. If he keeps doing it after a few quick ignores, you should try and grab a soft toy and encourage him through play to bite that instead. He may just be wanting to bite something and is using you because your hand is way more convenient.
[notify]
Ezra

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 6:02am PST 
It's highly unlikely that he'll magically like the harness when he's older. You're going to need to train him to be used to it, and the younger you start the easier it'll be. Good luck!
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 6:24pm PST 
Stick to the harness. Connecting a leash to a collar to lead him can severely damage his trachea. 4 health has a new grain free food too which I'm thinking of changing my boys to. I wouldn't worry too much about buying a small breed specific food. My boys are 7-9 pounds and have never had a problem with any kibble.
As far as the biting a high pitched ow! worked well with my pups. It startles them and is something their litter mates would do if play got too rough.

He's super cute. Congratulations and good luck!cheercheercheercheercheer
[notify]

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '13 10:36pm PST 
Get him a toothbrush. You wouldn't want his mouth to stink, right? Although not many dog owners would brush their dog's teeth, it is recommended that you brush them at least once a week.

As for your dog biting, puppies usually do that. You might want to spray him with water if he does because I don't think puppies would understand what you mean by turning your back at him. He'll get it eventually, but you'll still feel his teeth.
[notify]
Ezra

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '13 10:07am PST 
I very much disagree with guest's statement that a puppy won't understand if you turn your back to it, and that you should spray it in the face with water instead.

Puppies bite because they are curious, teething, or trying to play. Spraying him in the face with water is likely to either make him scared of you, or amp him up and make him bite more. If you turn your back, he won't become scared of you, and he'll learn that if he bites, playtime stops.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2