GO!

Muttluks/Booties for cold weather

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 6:00am PST 
I know Rigby isn't exactly what most would consider to be a small dog, but I wasn't sure where else to put this.
Rigby has soft paws, and a relatively thin (albeit double) coat.

When I took the dogs out today, it was -7 C outside (about 20F?).
It seemed like her feet were cold, or at least uncomfortable. So I have been looking into those little booties to keep her feet a little warmer. The thing is, I don't want to drop a bunch of money on something that she isn't going to like or is going to slip out of within a matter of minutes.

With other clothing she is fine with (note the Santa hat on her head in the picture laugh out loud) She will basically just walk around with whatever I put on her until it falls off.
But I can see the boots being a little different.

Anyone have any experience with these? Any suggestions?
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 11:54am PST 
Farley needs booties every winter. In the winter where I live, it's -25C on a regular basis and gets down to -40C for weeks at a time. I don't bring Farles outside for walks when it's colder than -25. Without boots, Farley's paws always get full of ice chunks and on the really cold days, he's lifting his paws within minutes of walking on the snow and ice.

We use fleece-lined Muttluks boots. Farley has dainty border collie feet, so he fits a size small. They're pretty good overall when it comes to staying on, but if the dog runs or goes in deep snow, they're much more likely to come off.

He doesn't necessarily like wearing the booties, but he tolerates just about anything I put on him. laugh out loud When he sees me get his booties out he hangs his head in disappointment, but once we get outside he's prancing around and forgets about them.

Edited by author Wed Dec 26, '12 11:55am PST

[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 1:54pm PST 
Chance has Muttluks for times we will be places where her paws can get cut up (lava, obsidian, snow with an ice crust, etc.)

She goose steps for about 10 minutes the 1st time they go on if she hasn't had to wear them in a while but after that she's fine with them.
[notify]

Tucker

Earned my wings- Jan. 22nd

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 8:08am PST 
I haven't tried these out in cold weather, but Ruffwear Bark'n Boots Grip Tex have a waterproof vibram sole and are the ONLY boots I have ever found that will not slide off my vizsla's feet. http://www.ruffwear.com/Barkn-Boots-Grip-Trex_3?sc=2&category=11
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 5:21am PST 
I just put in an order for these:
http://www.pawsup2006.ca/catalog/index.php?act=viewProd&prod uctId=745

The way Rigby was hopping around in the snow today, switching legs to hold in the air, told me she needed them.
I wish I was in a bit better of a financial situation to buy a more well known brand, but the price was right on these laugh out loud
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 10:16am PST 
Just keep in mind to know the return policy on any booties from any company, especially the expensive ones. When I worked at PetSmart booties were the number one return item. If they fit good and a dog is okay learning to walk with them they're terrific. It's just tricky finding the right fit and the dog has to change their gait a bit. Remember to dry them real good too.dog
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 11:42am PST 
The only thing is, the store I ordered from is closing down - which is why I got them half price.
So I don't think I'll be able to return them unfortunately. frown
$19.80 + $9 shipping. Still a lot better than the $50 or so I've found elsewhere...hopefully they fit laugh out loud
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Fri Dec 28, '12 5:02pm PST 
I started getting Charlie booties, not just after I noticed his paws getting increasingly intolerant of the cold weather, but also because he had an incident with some chemical ice melt that was unknowingly put on my doorstep by my landlord at the time and Charlie's paws got burnt pretty bad by it.

Unfortunately, after three winters of buying fabric booties that never lasted more than that winter, I got fed up with repeatedly spending $20+ every single winter. I finally got him some of the Ruffwear ones listed above and while they're slightly 'stiff' in comparison to the fabric ones because of the hard rubber soles, they've lasted him since I bought them, AND they're warm enough too. I actually might try them with socks though just because they don't come up far enough on his little legs to keep the chill and ice from packing in on the top lol. Expensive, but saving me $20 every winter and should last me until he's gone or at least close to and I can buy replacement booties if I lose one.

I find that while dogs aren't too keen on wearing them IN the home when they try them on, because there's nothing to distract them. Put them outside and all the wonderful things to do play an instant distraction to help them adjust and keep them from fighting them off. laugh out loud

The amount of people I see at my work trying booties on their dogs... And the goose walk their dogs do with them on. Soooo cute!
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 5:58pm PST 
I'll third Ruffwear... The price of good winter gear is just worth it, for people and dogs. Every other boot I've tried either falls off or is soaking wet within 10 minutes.

In terms of accepting them, just go slow and do some desensitizing and counter conditioning. Most dogs don't like them at first, but most learn to wear them without a problem.
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 8:31am PST 
They came in today! cheer

Putting the first 2 on was kind of a mess as I didn't know what I was doing, and this early in the day Rigby is a squirrely little dog laugh out loud
Third and fourth went on great though.

I got a size small for her, as she too has dainty little feet.

As with everything else I subject her to, she just accepted them. Duck stepped for about 2 minutes, then continued normally.

The only thing is, as soon as she started to run they fell off! I put them on as tight as I figured would be good without cutting her circulation off, and they just wouldn't stay on. shrug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2