GO!

What should i do with a dominant westie?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Joy

Always finds- something to- bark about

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '12 1:22pm PST 
Long story short: my westie male is 4 years old,and extremely tolerant.Something made me believe that he isn't purebred,as I have never seen such a tolerant westie in my life.He is great with children,loves cats,and is very laid back generally.

He listens to me and is very submissive,but EVERYTHING changes when a large dog comes along.It doesn't matter if it's male or female,Joy goes bonkers.It's like he's a different dog:the calm and tail wagging buddy turns into a barking,dominant dog.I can tell him whatever i want,it's like i am not there;on the contrary,if i show up to take him away,he becomes more aggresive(not towards me,thank God!).

I know he probably does this to "protect" me,but i have had enough of this sudden change.He has become even more tensed whenever I take him to the dog park:he is nervous,inactive,and obviously grumpy,especially if other dogs want to even interact with him.

What on Earth can I do to stop him from being this way?I miss the old times when we would go in the park and play with every dog nicely and calmly....

Edited by author Sat Oct 20, '12 1:22pm PST

[notify]