GO!

The dog won't shut up

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Dingo

All business no- play, I have a- job to do

Barked: Thu Jul 19, '12 1:03pm PST 
I am not a small dog person by any means. For me they are too noisy, hyper, bouncy, and annoying. Since Dingo completely ignores my husband and could care less whether he is their or not, hubby wanted to get a dog that would hopefully he could enjoy. We had to get a small dog (uncer 20#) because of our living situation. Originally he told me he wanted to get a Chi which I put a stop to immediately. I told him that he needed to get a dog that had a bit more weight to it and could take a "beating" because Dingo's way of playing is he runs and bulldozes over other dogs and tumbling over them, and I knew a Chi would not be able to handle that. Came across a Mini Schnauzer that was housetrained, good with kids, cats, and dogs, Dingo loved her almost immediately, and knew basic commands. We got her from a rescue that only runs through foster homes to help lower stress on the dogs. When brought her home I basically ignored her because I wanted her to want attention fom my hubby more than myself, since animals tend to stear towards me. It did work and although she is ok with me she really prefers my husband, which makes him happy.

Enough rambling though.

My question is how can I get her to stop barking. It is beginning to drive me up the wall and make me hate her at this point. She barks at the tv, the door, kids playing outside, car driving by, when people come over we have to lock her out back in our patio area and shut the sliding glass door to muffle some of the noise but still the whole time its yap yap yap yap. Tried distracting her attention to something else that she knows how to do well, tried working on ignoring the bad behavior and rewarding the good, tried telling her no. Nothing is working, and I honestly don't know how much more I can take of it. I don't want my husband to have to get rehome her because then he will make me regret it for the rest of my life. But I am going insane here. I didn't even want the little dog in the first place but he absolutely insisted. What else can I do to try and get her to shut her mouth. And if she isn't barking she chatters her teeth or whines.

Help me please, before I lose my mind!
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Thu Jul 19, '12 2:34pm PST 
How much exercise is she getting?
[notify]
Dingo

Barked: Thu Jul 19, '12 2:51pm PST 
She gets tons of exercise. Hubby plays ball with her outside, she wrestles with Dingo, gets 3 LONG walks every day, and hubby is always teaching her new things typical small dog tricks, she learns those just fine but she refuses to learn to shut her mouth.
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Jul 19, '12 6:12pm PST 
Teach her to speak. Sounds crazy but it works. If she barks on command she gets a treat, if she barks on her own she gets ignored. Remember that a lot of small dogs are alarmists and stop telling her to be quiet(come on you know you are). wink Some dogs get to liking the argument.
[notify]
Maggie

im a squeaker

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 2:47am PST 
Teaching them to speak is a great way to teach them not to bark, I did that with Wiggles on of my doxies.
Maggie on the other hand was much more stubborn, I taught her to speak and she just kept on barking and was driving me crazy as she has a very high pitched bark. Maggie would bark when she wanted something (to play, to be picked up, to eat, etc) so I decided that every time she barked I would ignore her until she stopped barking. The first couple times she got upset and barked for a long time (i put headphones on and listened to music to tune her out) but she did eventually stop and them I gave her attention and what she was barking for. After 3 or 4 times she got the message and now only barks once or twice before stopping.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 5:40am PST 
Has she seen the vet about the teeth chattering and whining? That sounds like it could be anxiety or pain.

Teaching a bark on cue worked well for Lily. Her barking is much more managable now and she will quiet down when we tell her.
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 4:37pm PST 
Not all small breeds are barky, but miniature Shnauzers definitely are. All the ones I've known anyway. There was one little girl a friend was fostering that I seriously considered adopting. She was quiet for the first week, but once she got comfortable in my friends home, the barking started!

I have a barky breed (Doxie) but with training, Lupi has learned that barking at anything other than a knock at the door is simply not acceptable. If she was outside barking, she had to come inside. Since she loves being outside, she controls herself. For barking at stuff outside the window, I used the "stuff a treat in her mouth after she sees something but before she barks" method. After a few days, she stopped barking at the window. Barking at bikes/skateboards on walks was fear-related, so the treat method worked great for that too.

One thing I should mention: Your dog may be alert-barking because she hasn't figured out who "belongs" yet. Lupi ignores our neighborhood noises because she's used to them, but when her doggie friends come over they usually want to bark at every dog and person they see or hear going by because they aren't used to them. You may need to take a few days and just consistently condition her to the regular noises, using food.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 5:06pm PST 
How long have you had her? Could it be anxiety related due to the upheaval she's been through recently?
[notify]
Dingo

Barked: Fri Jul 20, '12 10:12pm PST 
We have had her for about a year now. She has been doing this since about 3 days after bringing her home.

The chattering and whining is not pain related. She only does it after we tell her no multiple times. Almost like she is talking back with an attitude.

The thing is she knows she is not allowed to bark because after she does she immediately looks down and either stays there looking down or she goes off running usually to her crate. Cause she knows she is going to get yelled at.
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '12 6:38am PST 
First off, I want to say, I can relate, but from the opposite viewhug

My husband is the one who is driven crazy by Princesse's barking and I am the one who wanted to keep her. He always did want a tiny dog, but not one that barks at the drop of a pin!

I think your last post is going to help pinpoint the problem:

"The thing is she knows she is not allowed to bark because after she does she immediately looks down and either stays there looking down or she goes off running usually to her crate. Cause she knows she is going to get yelled at."

The thing that stands out to me here, is you are catching her *after* the barking. I watch Princesse very closely and she gives clear signs that she is about to start. Her lips curl upwards and her whole body is on alert. I can often stop her in her tracks at this point or at least get it down to one or two barks. Honestly, if hubby was more observant/ consistent , I suspect this would have been corrected a long time ago. Often when I catch her before hand, she will growl under her breath, probably, as someone else here said, enjoying the argument. She reminds of me a rebellious teenager, doing what she is told while muttering under their breathlaugh out loud Hey, I can live with thatbig grin

Also, I wondered why you shut her in another room when you have company? Will she not stop barking even when introduced to the person/people?

Edited for forgotten word

Edited by author Sat Jul 21, '12 6:41am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4