GO!

Does anyone have a big dog too?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 12:06pm PST 
We are thinking about getting another dog, who will likely be very small. Kody is around 100 pounds. I'm interested in hearing advice from anyone who has made this work. If you had the bigger dog first, how did you choose your second dog? Did you get a puppy or find a compatible adult? Did you read any books or websites that you found especially helpful?

Any advice much appreciated smile
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 12:42pm PST 
We don't have any small dogs, but we baby-sit my Mother-in-laws dog. He is a Rat Terrier mix. We introduced ours one at a time with the dominate one first. Once she accepted him, the rest were fine. Yours is still a puppy, so you have to be careful if he wants to play. Because your Malamute is large, just playing can be serious for any little guy you get. I would recommend that since you have a male, to look for a female as a second dog. I would also take your Malamute with you to meet your second dog. Good Luck!
P.S. Kali is in love with George, my Mother-in-laws dog. It's the funniest thing. She's huge and he is very small. She is very gentle, but we have to be careful with Koby, since he's still a puppy at heart.
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 1:09pm PST 
Thanks for the response, Kali smile

I do plan on a female. Kody has his stately moments, but he is still very puppyish, maybe even more so than you'd think from his age, so those are good points. He doesn't bully small dogs and will lie down on the ground to let them reach him, but he isn't mature enough to be truly gentle- he still jumps around and trips over his paws. The criterion I have in my mind is that I want our second dog to be small enough to ride under an airplane seat, which means no more than about 10" tall. Maybe it would be a good plan to try to find a short and relatively stocky dog. It does seem like a 7 pound dog would be asking for an injury- or at least for playing not to be very much fun.
[notify]

Kloppers

Barked: Wed Jun 6, '12 4:48pm PST 
I have a 5lb Chihuahua and a 150 Saint. We had our Chi first and she is not the friendliest of dogs, so we have not had to worry about the dogs playing together. Our first Saint was a rescue that had lived with smaller dogs, but our current Saint was also a rescue but she was younger and she was/is obsessed with small dogs, not in a bad way. Bella is pretty gentle though, she throws her big paws at the small dogs in the dog park but not makes contact. She has a very small cocker friend at the park. We luckily have had no accidents where little dog has been hurt by bigger dog. When there is alot of commotion going on Tinker is usually in my arms or causing it..lol. Tinker is stepped on more by me than anything because she is always under my feet.
[notify]
(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 1:59am PST 
dogs do not see any difference in sizes...they see dog...
if your bigger dog is the alpha,choose a smaller dog that is not dominant...is the bigger dog mellow,you can pick a more feisty breed...
terriers are mostly more feisty,so if you have a bigger alpha,that's not a breed to pick..i can cause issues...
but there are many breeds that are smaller and mellow from caracterhappy dance
my alpha was a crossbreed rodesian and i had a smal dog to,a rat terrier...both feisty and i had fight once in a while....so pick wisely.....don't over protect your small pooch either....
it can make the big dog jelous and than it's also risky for bite's...be there,close to the pup,being able to step in when needed,but the smalller dog must be albe to be close to your bigger dog...and if it's a real big dog,don't buy the smaller snack breeds like chi's lol...those that fit right in the muzzle...a medium size is cool too
my boxer boy was so big that if he would put his paw on a chi,it would be flat.
so think and choose right...way to go
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 4:47am PST 
I'd generally call Kody mellow, but I don't think he would tolerate being excessively bossed around by another dog. I can't see him cowering in a corner. But then he often just doesn't seem bothered by the yapping of little dogs. He sometimes just sits and watches like he can't believe that something the size of a stuffed toy is making that much noise. He doesn't seem to care if other dogs chew his rawhides or play with his toys, unless they growl at him about it. The rule at grandma's is whoever grabs it off the floor gets to play with it, and once you drop it, it's not yours anymore.
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 9:52am PST 
I have had big and small (Dakotah, nicknamed Kody, funnily enough) was a 70+ Malamute mix when I got Tucker (Powderpuff Chinese Crested) who was about ten months old and nine-ish pounds when I got him. Not quite the same degree of size difference as you're talking about, but still substantial. As someone else said, dogs don't see size - a very small dog can exert influence over a very large one, BUT having said that, the potential is still there for the smaller dog to be injured accidentally by a much larger one, so you have to be mindful. In my case, Dakotah was, I knew from long experience, infinitely trustworthy, and very careful, with any being smaller and weaker than himself, and I wasn't the least worried how he would do with Tucker. However, now I'm in the reverse situation in that I have two small dogs (Tucker and nine and a half pound Brussels/Yorkie mix, Phoebe), and find myself really wanting a larger dog again. However, I have concerns about bringing a larger dog in with two smaller ones, just simply because the larger dog (or puppy) is an unknown entity. Still haven't really decided what to do about this.
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 10:54am PST 
Thanks for your reply! Was your Kody still a puppy at the time, or was she older?
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 12:49pm PST 
Um. we've got two big pups and two "littleish" ones. Dubs was very tiny when I brought her home to live with 100 lb. Savvy and 85 lb. Samoa.

Samoa would make a great mom, because he took her right in. Savvy was spooked by her at first and would climb on furniture to try to stay clear.

I tried crating Dubs to keep her "safe" but the pups carried on wickedly until I gave up.

I would take some care at first, but hopefully your pups will get along just as well as ours do in the long run.

(slightly different story when I brought a smallish adult into the mix, but intoducing a pup was pretty easy.)
[notify]
Kodiak

The cheese ninja

Barked: Thu Jun 7, '12 1:02pm PST 
That's very encouraging smile
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3