GO!

Does anyone have their small dog go on pee pads instead of outside?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 3 of 5: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Loki

Dung Fanatic

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 9:53pm PST 
I used to have my small dog go on newspapers while no one is there, but the problem began when he started going in the space beside the newspapers on the hardwood... It took a couple of weeks & he is now litterbox trained for urine. kitty If a human is at the house - that is most of the time - he gets his usual roam in the yard to do his thing.
[notify]
Cocoa Loco

Fastest tongue- in the west

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 12:48pm PST 
Auda and I get left at home in the laundry room when my person is at work. (in the summer we have a safe outside pen, but it is getting cold now and we stay in.)

We are learning to use pee pads, but we both prefer to go outside and only use the pads when locked inside and our person is at work.

It works pretty well.
[notify]
Shadow

cuddle monster

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 9:32pm PST 
Nope! I have a cavlier....good dogs.
They are outside/inside dogs , they are usually outside during the day and inside dutring the night, taking them out two or three times out before bed sometimes even more. I don't use pads and never have, never thought it was important, my dogs are also not kennel trained unfortunately..! but they seem to be alrightsmile i dont see that its that important to kennel train.
[notify]

Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 10:27am PST 
Princesse uses a puppy pad lined litter box. Considering she is pretty much housebound for 6 months of the year, it's worked well for ussmileThe other 6 months of the year , when its nice enough to go for walks, she will do her business on the walks.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 10:15pm PST 
I'm agreeing with everyone that allowing your dog to pee inside the crate isn't a bright idea. Crates are there to help your dog learn to hold her bladder. It isn't her potty area. You might want to go along with their advice and use a pee pad outside the crate and fence it in so she wouldn't go any further.
[notify]
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 10:30am PST 
I don't like the idea of pee pads, but if you do have to use them, it should be as Lucille suggested.

I found it hard enough to teach my Dachshund to potty outside, let alone with the confusion of puppy pads. When we got Lupi, we were living in Mexico, so I was able to consistently take her outside without the hassle of bad weather. She has been reliably housetrained since about 6-8 months. She hasn't had an accident in the house in years. Even when it's -30 and blizzarding, she will only go outside, due to habit.
[notify]
Zoey

Better than I- was

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '13 8:29pm PST 
Mine goes outside and on pads inside (mostly). When I got her she was 100% NOT housebroken, now she is about 80%. Oddly she is doing way better with smaller pad than the reg sized ones.
[notify]
moses

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 1:12pm PST 
I have a toy poodle who is now 14, he has used a piddle pad since he was 8 weeks old. At the time I worked long hours, it worked out great for me. I kept the pad in kitchen by door and he used them. I never had to worry if I was late coming home. I bought washable pads. At 14 years he still goes on them even if I'm home if I don't take him out.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 5:33pm PST 
Just a fun bizarre fact, but when we adopted Sophie-for several months she tried to use the litterbox whenever she had a chance...not just digging, she actually knew what she was doing...pee, kick, cover it up. We think maybe she lived in an apartment or something and it was easier for somebody if she didn't have to go outside. It's just that a 60lb dog fills a litterbox with two good pees laugh out loudShe stopped after a few months though
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 8:22am PST 
We just added a 11-week-old chihuahua puppy to the family a few days ago. He had absolutely no potty training when we brought him home and have decided to keep him corraled in a large tiled area with a crate, toys, and a pee pad until we start clicker training this weekend. He actually took to it almost immediately. He peed on the floor the first night and after rubbing clean pads in his waste before placing them down, he has only had one real accident. The other "semi-accidents" were just him pooing near the edge and missing the target.blue dog

I was quite surprised with how naturally he took to it. I wouldn't advise having the dog potty in the crate, though. Crates are for sleeping. That's what pee pads and x-pens are for.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 5: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5