GO!

Should I?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 7:20am PST 
Hi Esme!

I think another problem (other than health testing heart, hips, or for other genetic defects) is the puppies. The responsibility of having a litter of pups is HUGE simply because there is no way to know if those puppes are truely going to great homes or not.

For instance, puppy mills may purchase a pup at any price, stick it in a cage, and let it reproduce until it dies with no human interaction. They know what to say to make you (breeding your dogs currently would make you considered a back yard breeder or BYB) believe that the pup will be taken care of.

Many people know what to say to make you believe the pups will be cared for. The chances of most of your litter surviving the first few years of their life are slimmer than you think!

For these reasons, I am TERRIFIED to breed. I would kill to have one of Gunned's pups. That would surely be the best dog in the world, but tbh, I found Gunner as a stray, I can find another dog that meets my requirements just as easily without breeding him. And trust me, many people wanted me to breed him! Texas Lacy dogs are rare to stumble upon.

I'm just saying that it would be best to think through every possible consequence before deciding to breed her. frown
[notify]
Princesse- Lily CGN

I am RoyalChi!

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 8:54am PST 
Speaking for myself , I would be very unlikely to buy a pup from you. I don't really care about the showing( although I understand why it is encourged), but I would want a breeder to have their breeding stock at least health tested and some kind of proof of temperment, even its only CGN/CGC for a companion breed. I think if you are just looking for a friend for your dog, rescue is a great route. If you really want to breed your dog, I agree with the others who say health test both parents make sure you have good homes lined up firstsmile
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 9:29am PST 
I'm with Princess Lilly; I might rescue one of your pups after it was dumped on the street or left at a shelter. (A real possibility if you don’t' have an iron clad puppy contract and follow up on the litter for their whole life)

I would never purchase a puppy from a BYB who means well, loves their dog but isn't doing health testing, doesn't demand a puppy contract, and has no show or sport credentials to show the breeding stock are superior individuals.

I don't mean to be offensive, but there are thousands of dogs, big and small killed every year for the crime of not being wanted. Don't add to the problem.
[notify]

Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 10:38am PST 
In retrospect, Sebastian is right about me overestimating saying that the majority of people on here think rescue is the only ethical way to get a dog. A more correct expression would be “the majority of people on here will recommend rescue, some of which think that is the only ethical way to get a dog. A smaller amount will recommend going to a good breeder. Many people would advise either of these two options as your best choice. Very few would recommend breeding.”

What Sebastian said just sums it up though. “Breeding is a lot of work, can be a lot of money, and always poses some risks. I'm glad your past breeding experience went smoothly but even extremely experienced breeders can have things go horribly wrong and lose pups or the dam.” The last part is very true- I’m sure just about any established reputable breeder you contact will have at least one occasion where there were expensive complications and/or death of a dam or any number of puppies. While you had a smooth experience last time, breeding is never 100% safe, and that’s something to keep in mind when you make your decision.

As for the male puppy, I think the humping could very much be a behavior dependent on personality of the dog in question- my Kip is very submissive and never humps his sister Oogie, who is a bit more pushy in terms of their dynamic. Oogie on the other hand, has no qualms about going over and trying to occasionally hump him. So, females do it too- my brother and his girlfriend’s dogs hump each other sometimes and they are BOTH female. I also think humping behavior at that young age is normal in terms of development for either sex- discouraging it is all that really needs to be done if it bothers you. Not trying to push a male puppy, just giving you that info FYI!
[notify]
Pixie Bell

Is that a ball?

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 11:17am PST 
Note that the only reason most of us are against back yard breeding is because we either own, have rescued, or have watched it fail for the majority of puppies many, many times over. Back yard breeding is defined as breeding without genetic/eyes/hips/heart testing and/or sporting or showing credentials to prove the value of the genetics,, therefor you would be considered back yard breeding.

I have a puppy from a BYB, actually, all three of mine are BYB but one in particular, Pixie, was the result of a family wanting a puppy from a certain set of parents. Let me tell you about my sweet Pixie. Te breeders underestimated the responsibility of having a litter of rat terrier puppies, even proven hunting rat terrier puppies. They bred them expecting to make money from the litter, and hoping to keep a puppy for themselves.

Let's just say that they sold a couple of puppies, but when eight weeks went by and they still had the majority of pups without any buyers, they decided to give the remainder away to "friends".

One of these "friends" had a newborn and desperately wanted a puppy. She swore she would care for the adorable rattie puppy in her arms and that it would be good for baby and puppy to grow up together.

The breeder consented.

The now "free" puppy went to the woman's house where she quickly realized it wasn't going to work out. She didn't have the time for the demands of a puppy and a baby.

The puppy was left in her own urine and feces in a kennel in an apartment, she was ignored, and bum outputs unsuccessful attempts to rehome this puppy failed.

In a last ditch effort to get rid of the pup, at 4 months old and only 6 pounds the woman dumped the puppy on a red dirt road hoping the dog would find her way to me, a half-mile down the road, because I dealt in rescue.

This woman told the breeders that she regimes the puppy with a great family and wiped her hands of responsibility.

Pixie survived being dumped despite hawks, coyotes, owls, bobcats, and other wild predators.

The woman believes she did the right thing.

The breeders don't know what really happened to their puppy.

And Pixie is lucky she was too sweet for us to rehome.

Imagine of she had been picked up by neighbors? It wouldn't have ended the same.

THIS is what your puppies will face, and THIS is what we Dogster people sadly watch happen all the time. THIS is why we reccomend rescue or reputable breeders over BYBs or Mills. Forgive us for beig wary and reccomending against breeding your little dog that you want a replica of. We have those dogs too, but we also KNOW the consequences of doing such a thing and want nothing more than to reduce those consequences.

smile We will help you locate a dog that will meet your criteria of you want! But you won't find us major supporters of breeding your dog.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 1:33pm PST 
Addy and Dora's breeder, a few years ago, had a carefully planned litter with a bitch who had successfully whelped and raised a litter previously. This time, though, the expected litter of four became a litter if eleven. The bitch had to be rushed to the emergency vet. Four of the puppies died anyway. The remaining seven were still too many for the poor girl to handle on her own, but fortunately the breeder had one other female who had just delivered a much smaller litter. She had planned two litters together because the risk of singleton litters is so high in this breed. The two moms were able to share nursing duties.

I honestly wouldn't take the risk, without a lot more experience or an experienced mentor. Much safer, and also a much better chance of getting the right personality match, if you go with either a good rescue or a good, responsible breeder.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 6:34pm PST 
Pixie, thank you for telling your story. I am probably from a BYB, if I wasn't, why would I end up in a high kill shelter in MS? I was lucky; I was rescued, abused a bit, passed around and then found a real home.

There are 7 of us. We are all rescues, Chewy is the newest, and he was just treated for Heart Worms. He was 40 pounds when found. He now is a lean 70 pounds. He had a too small collar, obviously put on when younger and an open S hook where the rabies/ID tag was removed.

He waited for his owner for 3 weeks. He would come and eat, but always go back to the road. He almost got run over; my person put him on a leash and brought him inside the fence (he wanted to stay and wait on the side of the road).

I have no doubt that he was a puppy free to good home once upon a time and grew too big or got dumped for some other crime like catching heart worms. He is the nicest, friendliest dog you could ever hope to meet. He got lucky, many don't
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2