GO!

Dachshund biting

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Dunkin

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 2:26pm PST 
Hi,
I really need some advice. We have recently adopted our very first dog. He is a just about 3 year old dachshund named Dunkin. He is very smart, house trained and loyal. He seemed to be the perfect addition to our family. We have a 10 year old daughter and a son who will be 4 in a month. He has never shown any signs of agression until lately. He keeps trying to bite a 4 year old boy I babysit. I can assure you I have never left the dog alone with the kids and seen first hand that there is no reason why the dog keeps trying to bite him. I am not sure how to correct this behavior. Any advice would be very helpful.

thank you
[notify]
Gus

did someone say- 'cheese'??

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 8:30am PST 
I read that young children are often scary for dogs because they sound like a wounded animal, yet their energy is excitement and chaos. So it confuses most dogs.

I don't really have an answer for you. Maybe someone else will smile Try posting this in the Behavior section.

For now - maybe keep your dog gated off or crated. Not as a punishment, but to keep both dog and child safe. Maybe for some reason that child makes your dog feel threatened or scared (most little dogs bite out of fear).

I hope other have some advice on how to socialize your pup with young children. Some dogs, if not properly socialized as a puppy (you had no control or knowledge about this), will always struggle with very young children.
[notify]