GO!

Tags too big?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Joey Butters

the gangsta.

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 7:16am PST 
Hi everyone. I posted this in the Pomeranian forum and then decided to cross post here as my problem is really a small dog problem, not just a Pom problem.

I'm a new pomeranian owner. I've had Alaskan Malamutes and American Eskimos in the past, obviously much bigger dogs, so this wasn't an issue for me before.

Joey Butters just got his rabies shot last week and the tag is HUGE. He hates it, but I've been hoping he would get used to it. Then today, he got it caught in the heating vent in our floor. One of his little feet was caught in there too when he tried to get himself out of it. He started shrieking and then my other dog and cat started going berserk. It was a bad situation that could have gotten ugly quick.

Thankfully this happened in the hallway right at the door to my home office and I was right there. (He hangs in my office while I work, so I don't crate him because I thought it was puppy proofed.) I was able to get his foot out and his collar off to free him from the vent. I haven't put his collar back on yet because I don't know what to do with that huge rabies tag.

Can I order a smaller replacement tag for the rabies tag? Does anyone put the tags on their pom's harness when walking instead of on the collar? (Joey wears a little collar around the house, but he wears a harness when we walk outside.)

I know he needs a tag on him in case he gets outside, but I can't have him wearing that massive tag he came home from the vet's with.

What do you small dog owners do about the tag situation? Name tags? Rabies tags? Dog license tags?
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 8:22am PST 
I put my dogs rabies tag, town license tag, as well as an extra ID tag and his allergy tag on his harness. He only wears his harness when we take him outside. Here I think you're suppose to have the rabies/license tags on them when they are out in public. Works for us because we always put his harness on before taking him outside, so he never goes out without his tags on.

On his collar we just keep a single ID tag. Just in case he ever got out, but it's never happened yet and hopefully never will. Anyways, most places that sell ID tags have different sizes. If you for some reason can't find one that's small enough, you could maybe get one of those slider ID tags that slides right on the collar instead of hanging down, or I've seen some places online that sell collars that you can have personalized with your dogs information written right on the collar.
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 10:38am PST 
You could use a tag bag that attaches to the collar - they're available online and in some pet supply stores.
[notify]

Isabelle

Tougher than I- look!! :)

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 10:41am PST 
I put my three Cresteds' tags on their harnesses, but I'm planning on getting some ID tags made for them. Boomerang Tags makes all their tags in different sizes for different size dogs, and one of the bits of info they'll put on the tag, if you like, is the number of their rabies tag.
[notify]
Remington's- Saturday- Night Spe

Cute-- and I know it!

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 4:37pm PST 
At Petsmart they have really tiny flat tags you hammer onto a collar with rivets. There's only room for 2 lines of info though. Also you can make cheap lightweight tags from Shrinky Dink plastic. These work well for occasional use. Online the smallest tag I could find was 7/8" in diameter.
[notify]
Talah CGC

Suska's- Sanderling- Tailwind

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 5:00pm PST 
You can rivet most rabies tags on the collar as well, if they're the typical oblong type. Some vets use a cutesy type that just has to hang. Personally I only keep their ID tags on them, as they're not required to have the rabies tags on them at all times where I live. I just have to have it at home.
[notify]
Cocoa Loco

Fastest tongue- in the west

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 3:40am PST 
I have a small ID tag. My rabies tag is in the cabinet with the paperwork that proves I have my shots. We don't live in town and have never had a problem with not wearing tags. (if we did, I would just claim that the tag must have gotten lost)

I am not overly worried about officious little men checking tags, but if I lived in town I might look at getting a small tag engraved with the information from the rabies tags.
[notify]
Tohbi - Deceased- 10/04/2013

Blue-Eyed Devil

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 6:27am PST 
I hate the huge rabies tag too - and my dog is sized to match! I put Tohbi's Rabies tag and his lifetime license on a thumb clip that I clip onto the metal of his leash when we're out in public (when I remember, anyway).

His collars only have a name tag. At home, he's usually nekkid.

Edited by author Fri Feb 24, '12 6:28am PST

[notify]
Sumo

Lady's Man

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 4:02pm PST 
I feel like Flav-a-flav with a huge clock around my neck. laugh out loud

Mom got clips...no tags around the house...but when its time to go for walkies...she clips on our tags.way to go
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Fri Feb 24, '12 7:03pm PST 
If you think those are bad, you should see the Dog Park tags we have to wear in my city! They're HUGE- easily twice the size of the rabies tags. I feel sorry for the small dogs who wear them.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2