GO!

Independent morkie pup - 3 months old

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Barked: Thu Feb 16, '12 10:03am PST 
I have a new morkie puppy and he's so cute like a little Teddy bear. My husband and I love him so much already and his little playful and silly personality but wish he was a little more cuddly and sweet. I think I may have smothered him the first few weeks because he's just so darrn cute and I want to hold him and pet him. We would just watch him for hours! The problem is that when i call him, he usually just looks at me from the corner of his eye and looks at me like "why?". Seems he would rather sit in the other side of the couch instead of at my feet or near us unless I have a toy.
Is it possible that I am giving him too much attention and so affection isn't a reward to come? By the way, if I leave the room - he wants to follow me just so he can see me but still doesn't want me to pick him up or touch him usually. The other exception is if I have a toy...he's right there and ready to play!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 16, '12 10:07am PST 
By the way, we have had him for 3 weeks. Our home is quiet but I have tried to socialize him ALOT with people and other dogs and he loves to ride with me in his little doggie travel bag.
[notify]
Gus

did someone say- 'cheese'??

Barked: Sun Feb 19, '12 10:51am PST 
He is probably entering his first independent stage. It can be annoying and frustrating when they decide to blow you off smile

Try making training into a game. Puppies love to play and get bored easily.

Try clicker training. That works great, especially for getting pups attention. They will know good things are coming when they see the clicker.

Dogs love to please - so even if he is difficult now, this stage will pass. Just try to make things fun and positive, and try not to take his not listening personally smile
[notify]