GO!

How much activity can my chi handle?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Misty

Can I chase it?!

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 11:06pm PST 
As some of you may remember from a while back, I've rescued a stray chihuahua about 6 months ago. The vet says she's about 4 or 5. She walks with my two larger dogs (2 or 3 walks a day lasting between 30 and 60 mins each) and occasionally we go on hikes. I'd like to start jogging/running with the dogs but I'm not sure if that's safe for my chi. Is it possible to condition a 5lb chi to jog for about 30 mins at a time?
[notify]
Cocoa Loco

Fastest tongue- in the west

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 3:36am PST 
thinking I zoom around like crazy all day long, I don't know about jogging, but you could always pick him up and carry him if he got tired.happy dance BOL, there are advantages to being little.
[notify]
Talah CGC

Suska's- Sanderling- Tailwind

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 2:01pm PST 
What about biking with your bigger two and getting a basket for the Chi?
[notify]

Misty

Can I chase it?!

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 3:05pm PST 
I've considered it, and actually bought a bike for that purpose. But I'm also trying to run my first 5K later this year and would like to have the dogs train with me. Generally, I can take Misty and Cooper and leave LilBit at home with my boyfriend, but if he's not home she will FREAK OUT if I leave her there with out any other dogs or people. Even if my boyfriend is home, I'm not sure how she will react if I take the other two out and leave her home.
[notify]
Crystal

Design jewelry,- not dogs

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 5:04pm PST 
We were at a 5K Sunday and there were THREE chihuahuas that ran with their owners. All did fine and one was quite elderly. And, it was only 15 degrees to boot!
Crystal walked, but got carried part way cuz her feet were cold, BOL!
[notify]
Piper

Who you callin'- small?

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 5:05pm PST 
You'd be surprised how much little dogs can handle. Piper, my 5.5# Dachshund can do pretty much anything my big dogs can. She takes walks off leash and will run the whole time - miles and miles - over logs, rocks, etc. and never pant.

That said, Piper chooses to do this much exercise and is not forced. And, she's been building up a fitness level over time. So you might want to start with shorter jogs and work your way up. Also, pay attention to the signs the dog is giving you and let her rest as needed.

You might also consider having a vet check her over if you haven't recently to make sure everything's in good working order. Think of her as an athlete.
[notify]
Precious- (Pip Squeak)

Good things come- in small- packages

Barked: Mon Feb 6, '12 9:24pm PST 
I find that it depends on the Chi. With our three mixes, I've quickly learnt their limitations. Chi Chi tires much quicker than Meepster and Precious. She can only handle about fifteen minutes at a time (running, not walking - but tires after a while walking, too) whereas Precious can run with the best of them. You'd be surprised how much energy some small dogs have! It's best to just watch them and if they start looking tired, carry them for a while. Doing this, you'll learn pretty quickly how much the little one can handle.
[notify]
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 6:18am PST 
Yes, I agree that it depends on the dog.

Most people describe Papillons as very athletic but I found that Eppy and I were really well matched on that front-- we're both glad to walk for miles if you want, but if you are talking about running, yeah well, we can do that for a few... steps. laugh out loud

If you work your dogs up gradually they'll tell you what they can handle! It could be that your Chi keeps up with the others, but if it turns out not to be the case, they're usually tiny enough to be scooped up, you could rig up a little sling to carry the dog in across your chest or something maybe, or even like a backpack, and just teach the dog to be comfortable in there.
Misty

Can I chase it?!

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 8:01am PST 
The training plan I want to follow starts out really slow. You start with a five minute warm up walk and then alternate between 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking before a 5 minute walking cool down. You're supposed to gradually increase your jogging time and decrease your walking time. So I'm thinking it would work well to build up her endurance and see how much she can handle.

I like the sling idea. Any ideas as to how I could rig that?
[notify]
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Tue Feb 7, '12 4:20pm PST 
I'd probably just jimmy-rig something on the sewing machine so I can't be much help there I don't think. wink

I believe there are slingy-things sold for this express purpose, however.
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2