GO!

What size crate for 25 to 30-pound Sheltie?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 1:54pm PST 
I'll be bringing home a Sheltie soon, and would like to purchase a wire crate to be her "den". (She will not be crated in it during the day, and it won't be used for transport in the car.) Since she's two years old, all growing is done.

Gypsy weighs 25 pounds, approximately. I read online somewhere that the average Sheltie of that weight is about 16" or 17" in height. I'm guessing that based on her weight, she wouldn't be more than 17" high, maybe 18".

I'm unsure what size crate would be the most comfortable for her. I know the ideal is being able to lie down comfortably and also stand comfortably. Should I get one big enough so that she can sleep fully stretched out on her side? (It will have an "open door" policy, and who knows, she may decide it's her bed.)

I saw this crate at Petsmart, and liked it. Would I need the size that's 30 long by 19 wide by 21 high? Or the next size up? Their sizing chart seemed to indicate a crate one size up from that. Also, is that a decent crate choice?

Thanks for the help!
-D
[notify]
Harley

Go ahead...run.- I'll catch up

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 2:19pm PST 
I have that brand and love it! I like that I can place it either way on the wall because of the door. Harley is a BIG sheltie and I have the intermediate size. I could probably almost use the next size up. lol. Harley stands almost 20 inches. So from your description, this would most likely be fine.
[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 3:02pm PST 
I have that brand and love it! I like that I can place it either way on the wall because of the door. Harley is a BIG sheltie and I have the intermediate size. I could probably almost use the next size up. lol. Harley stands almost 20 inches. So from your description, this would most likely be fine.

Harley is 20 inches, over 25 pounds, and uses the intermediate size? Can he lie down flat on his side in it?

Do you know if the door can be removed fully? I will probably want to remove it at some point, since I'll never be transporting Gypsy in the crate. This one has a door that folds up out of the way.
[notify]

Harley

Go ahead...run.- I'll catch up

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 7:33pm PST 
Yes - hes just about 19.5 inches at the shoulder and well over 25 lbs. Hes probably about 40 some pounds. Its not his weight as much as his size. Hes tall and long for a sheltie. He can lie down on his side and put his legs out - but he just fits. He can put his paws on the side! When he stands, he puts his head down just a tad. You could leave the door off if you wanted and it would still be functional, but you have to semi take it apart - as if you were going to store it, take the door off and put it back up. So it wouldnt be like an on and off all the time thing. I really think the size would be good for your Gypsy!
[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 7:43pm PST 
Yes - hes just about 19.5 inches at the shoulder and well over 25 lbs. Hes probably about 40 some pounds. Its not his weight as much as his size. Hes tall and long for a sheltie. He can lie down on his side and put his legs out - but he just fits. He can put his paws on the side! When he stands, he puts his head down just a tad. You could leave the door off if you wanted and it would still be functional, but you have to semi take it apart - as if you were going to store it, take the door off and put it back up. So it wouldnt be like an on and off all the time thing. I really think the size would be good for your Gypsy!

If he's 19.5 inches at the shoulder, and can just barely lie down on his side in the intermediate size, then I might get that same size for Gypsy, to give her a little extra room. (Assuming I measure her and she is 16/17 inches.)

I'm glad to hear that the door can be removed! Neither the website nor the reviews mentioned it. Taking the crate apart and then assembling it again wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks so much for the input on this crate!
-D
[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Sun Feb 19, '12 8:53pm PST 
Turns out that Gypsy has never had a crate. She's never been crated during the day, and even though I don't intend to use the crate for that, her family thought she wouldn't want to go in on her own.

No crate, then, I guess.

And my girl is actually 18.5 or 19 inches at the shoulder! She wiggled a bit too much to be more accurate than that. I'd still only put her weight at maybe 30 pounds, though.

-D
[notify]