GO!

How long should a 3lb Chi be able to hold it's bladder??

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Bella

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 7:48am PST 
I just adopted a little 3lb girl, who is so sweet. Very calm, loving and sociable. The shelter says she is between 5 to 7yrs old and she had not been spayed (just had her done last week).
However, we are trying to housebreak her and keep her on our other Chi's schedule who is about 9lbs.

She's been sleeping through the night with no issues (in our bed no less), but I don't know how long she can go during the day without a potty break. I am crating her and hate to do so, but she had an accident yesterday and I was home. I do work close to home and leave for work at 8:40am and come home for lunch by 2pm. This schedule has never been an issue for my other Chi,

Can a small Chi hold it for 3-4hrs?? She does it at night (over 7), so I would think she could during the day. I want to eventually give her the run of the house, but just can't do that yet. Any advice would be great! Thanks puppy
[notify]
The 2012 - Amigos

All fur One and- One fur all!

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 8:34am PST 
I have 3 Chi's and a Chi mix. My oldest Chi Tico is 5 yrs. old and 2.3lbs. He can hold it 4everlaugh out loud BUT if he is scared or someone else goes forget it, he will go too.
My 7 mos old Chi is a nervous Nelly and will get out of bed and poop on the floor and poop in the house if he is left alone for more than a hour.
My youngest Chi is 11 ounces and can hold it ALL night long but will pee & poop in the house in a heartbeat during the day or if it is too cold outside.
Having them spayed/neutered helps IMO.
If I am not home I have them blocked off in my dinning room. (tile floor, easy to clean) The littlest one will go on a paper but I don't like to encourage that at all.
I have also used disposable dog diapers on my middle Chi and/or a belly band.
Maybe try the diaper for a bit and see how that goes?
I hate crating too but many feel it is the way to go.
Good Luck!
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 8:48am PST 
Thanks Amigos! Love your pups -- very cute.

I am not sure if I want to do diapers; and little Bella has only been with us in her new home for 3 days with one accident. She's been going outside on short walks on a leash and in the backyard and pooping and peeing there with my other Chi, so hope she's getting the hang of it.
I don't want to do wee-wee pads either, as to me it may confuse them that they can/should go in the house.

I guess we will crate for another 2 weeks or so and see how it goes. Many thanks for your kind reply!! dog
[notify]

Isabelle

Tougher than I- look!! :)

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 9:25am PST 
On the subject of potty pads, I have three little Chinese Cresteds, Evie, 8 lbs; Belle, 9 lbs, and Wicket, 17 lbs, and I keep a potty pad down in case they need to go during the night. They're very good about using it, then in the morning, everybody goes outside and does their regular business. No confusion. If it's really cold or wet out, they might just 'forget' and go on the pad. This is not confusion, this is not wanting to go out and get wet. laugh out loud
If she's holding it all night, she should be fine for 4 hours or so. You could gate her in a bathroom, or get her an ex-pen, if you don't want to crate her, but remember, if she ever has to go to the vet for an overnight stay, being crate-trained already will make this a lot less stressful for her.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Jan 23, '12 6:01pm PST 
I think it partly depends on your expectations and the dog's training. Talah is 5lbs and can hold it for 9hrs through the night, so 3-4 is nothing. When we got her she was 3lbs and the max we would leave her was 5, but she was a puppy then. Your Chi with a mature bladder ought to be fine. You might want to leave her in a crate or a playpen with a puppy pad to start and see how she does.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Jan 23, '12 6:22pm PST 
People tend to forget that while a toy dog has a small bladder, it also produces MUCH less urine so relatively speaking, it can hold it just as long as a big dog.
My 4 and 5 lb toy poodles are crated all day while I am at work unless it is nice out OR I take them to work with me. (That alternates day to day.) No one ever goes in their crate.
[notify]
Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 11:20am PST 
Congrats on your new pup! Bella is a cutie smile

Oogie is 3.5 pounds and a little over a year old. She doesn't have any accidents when I have her kenneled during work hours (6-8 hours) or overnight (6-10 hours). I leave a potty pad down overnight just in case, but she never uses it or goes on the carpet or anything, she just waits until morning. She also has been known to hold her bladder for a while if it's raining outside- like many other pups she doesn't care to do her business in the rain and usually will just outright refuse to go. Luckily, we live in Texas so this happens very rarely laugh out loud But it has happened a few times, and each of those times she's been able to hold it for about 12 hours. shrug
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 11:30am PST 
Could it be the new transition is throwing her off her potty schedule..? Sometimes well-trained or well-behaved dogs act differently and forget their 'manners' when they move or are adopted..

Did the shelter say if she was fully house-trained...?

Another option is to take her to your vet for a once-over...you can also ask the vet any advice on why she is having accidents, if it is due to the transition or she just needs to re-adjust her schedule or if any underlying health concern should be addressed...(you never know, better safe than sorry...)

I would watch her like a hawk when she is out of her crate, until she begins to be consistant with letting you know she has to go...

Moving or being newly adopted can affect what a dog normally does, so she may just need some adjusting....

GL, cute doggie!! smile
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 6:46pm PST 
If you have only had her in your home for 3 days She may just need time to adjust.Also having just been spayed last week having a full bladder or bowels may be making her uncomfortable because she is not yet completely healed. Also,do you even know if she was housebroken in her previous home? Have you cleaned up any accidents with an enzyme cleaner? She really has been through alot in a short time she may be able to hold it normally but might just need time to adjust to a new home,new people,new pup companion and fully recover from surgery. Try to be patient,keep working with her,and let her adjust and recover.hugwishes To all of you.
[notify]