GO!

Best harness for small dogs?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Oogie Bear

The Princess- Honey Badger

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 1:26pm PST 
Hello everyone! My two pups (well, I guess dogs now since they just turned a year a few days ago), are small and I'm looking for some advice as to which harness would be easiest to use/safest for them. Oogie is 3.5 pounds and Kip is 6 and the vet says they are pretty much done growing other than maybe filling out a bit.

The harnesses they have now are the smallest I could find to fit them, but they get twisted and tangled and are overall pretty annoying to use. I use their harnesses on them for our long walks, but when I take them out to the bathroom I generally just clip their leashes to their collars but that worries me since small breeds are prone to trachea collapse. I'd like to find a harness that is easy to put on/use that I could use for taking them out to the bathroom as well as for on their walks.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks smile
[notify]
Mandy

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 1:46pm PST 
I use the Lupine step-in harnesses - they're adjustable nylon. I had no problem finding one small enough for my girls.
[notify]
Lily Anne

Let's play!

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 2:53pm PST 
Puppia has great soft harnesses, and I think they make a very small size. You can find them online- not the cheapest- 25-30 dollars, but worth it in my book.
[notify]

Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 2:54pm PST 
You can find some good harnesses here:
http://www.gollygear.com/harnesses.htm

I like the Shoulder Collar or Buddy Belt harnesses, because they don't put any pressure on the neck. I also like the Gooby Freedom harness.

Edited by author Mon Nov 7, '11 2:55pm PST

[notify]
Kaiser

I'm cute and I- know it!

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 5:23pm PST 
I second the Buddy Belt, they are awesome and look very stylish. However, they are quite expensive.
[notify]
Pooch ~ I- miss you ~

love forever

Barked: Mon Nov 7, '11 6:14pm PST 
Yeah that is true, I looked into getting one for a big dog and they were quite expensive although I think the price is lower for the toy breed sizes.
[notify]
Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Tue Nov 8, '11 11:38am PST 
Thanks for all of the responses, everyone! I made a list of the brands you all suggested and took it with me to a couple of pet stores around my place. Unfortunately, they didn't carry those brands and the one store that did have the puppia harnesses didn't have one small enough to fit Oogie. ::sigh:: There's a local pet store that carries specialty brands a little bit out of the way, but I think I'm going to check there next. I'd really like to be able to have the pups try on the harnesses to see if they fit/if they are comfortable walking in them rather than ordering them online thinking
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Tue Nov 8, '11 10:10pm PST 
I have a terrible time with getting a harness for my dogs. You;d think it wouldbe easy, but I've got a few problems. Foxxy is wide around the chest and very narroe around the neck. I tried every puppia and puppia like harness, and it seems she's literally in between sizes, where the smaller harness fits across the back and neck, but not around the chest, but the next size up is too longdown the back though it fits the chest. Step in harnesses are hard to fit too.they never adjust right. My issue wit ht e step ins is that the dogs can get their teeth under it very easily, and the adjustable buckles are always slipping out. I had adjustables on both for a little bit, and foxxy chewed through hers, while taggerts chewed into his underarms.

the vest style seems to bite into their throats, the no-pull training harnesses are all too big, and even the dog issue roman harnesses wind up being too big or too small.

the only thing that I have found for foxxy is a roman harness for a cat. this is the y front one. It fits her nicely without digging anywhere on her.

Taggert I haven't found a good harness for that I can afford. I try the buddy belts on him, but they're very spendy. His problem is that his hair rubs off and he itches where his harness chafes, and I haven;t found a single one yet that does not cause him discomfort.
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Tue Nov 8, '11 10:19pm PST 
I really like mesh harnesses.
[notify]
Cooper

Cooper- Peace_Love_&Bell- y Rubs!!!

Barked: Tue Nov 8, '11 10:56pm PST 
Coop has one from a.s.p.c.a. it's sold at Walmart cost like twelve bucks.It's a portion of price goes to group. It's got a mesh front with extra padding for him to put his legs through. It's doesn't rub on him. It's adjustable straps and has secure strap. I got a little big because he's an in between sizes type dog. It doesn't yank on his fur. It was what i could afford at time and it's worked well for us. Hope it helps.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4