GO!

Maltese Yorkie X

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 14, '11 9:17am PST 
Sorry, Demi Joy...I HAVE studied genetics and they do not work any differently if the mother OR the father is a certain breed... the resulting puppies will be a hit or miss combination of ALL dogs behind each parent and there is no way to determine nor to even predict how that mix will end up. It sounds like another marketing ploy to sell mixed breed puppies to me.
[notify]
Lilly

Barked: Thu Apr 14, '11 10:30am PST 
My son has a Morkie and loves her like no other. He and his ex-wife got a Morkie when they were married and they loved her so much that when they divorced, my son contacted the breeder he got the first Morkie from and got another from them for himself (his ex-wife took the first one and he missed her something aweful). They are very sweet dogs, at least the ones I've seen are. Both Yorkies and Maltese make good pets. I have 2 Yorkies, a Maltese, and a Yellow Lab. They are all wonderful dogs, but the Yorkies and Maltese don't shed like the Lab does. Mine are all house dogs.
[notify]
Snickers

The Wonder- Pooch!

Barked: Thu Apr 14, '11 12:00pm PST 
Um...I LOVE my DOG. What ever breed/mix/mutt he is. He is adorable and everything I ever wanted in a pup. Does not mean I fell for a ploy, that info was given to way after I adopted him...does not matter to me his genetics..he is healthy, happy and loved. I will watch what I post from now on, the info was given to me and well... I thought it to be true. "When you know better you do better." Lesson learned! Poochie Smoochies, Jen and Snickers xxxxx
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 14, '11 12:35pm PST 
Sadly, Snickers, that is an issue with information given thru the internet in many cases.
Has ABSOLUTELY no effect on how YOUR dog is nor how much you love them!!! Obviously, since both Yorkies AND Maltese are bred to be companion dogs it is hopeful that no matter WHERE the genetics come from, they will be traits assuring the offspring have good temperaments!!
No harm, no foul.

Edited by author Thu Apr 14, '11 12:36pm PST

[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Apr 14, '11 12:46pm PST 
Hey Baloo, I got my "designer" breed at a shelter. She even gave birth there if your friend wants a puppy, actually when I adopted Jewel there were 10 poodle/shih-tzu puppies at this small town Sask shelter to be adopted. shrug Your friend might not be able to get one RIGHT NOW but if she was willing to wait a month or two and cruise the sites like I did I'm sure she'd find one. smile
[notify]
BALOO

Sniffy Pants- Baloo

Barked: Sat Apr 16, '11 3:25pm PST 
Jewel, Thanks... One of the reasons I have been asking here is my friend in not computer literate so internet is not much of an option for her. As I am in the Toronto catchment area of Ontario I will check to see if there are any Morkie Rescues and tell her to also check Yorkie and Maltese Rescues as they may have these breeds as well or contacts for them.

Snickers, I am sorry you were given false information on breeding. That's one of the reasons I love dogster so much because we can learn from each others experience and education. I have a science background and basic understanding of genetics and think it's terrible that breeders provide consumers with that type of false information.
Great Women have Great Dogs!!!hug
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Sat Apr 16, '11 9:31pm PST 
What everyone else said.

And I don't think there usually would be a 'Morkie' rescue. But like you already mentioned, your best best is to look in Yorkie/Maltese rescues if she's really set on a 'Morkie'. Maybe you could help her on petfinder? smile
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2