GO!

Lupine Harness Sizing

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Fri Mar 25, '11 4:38pm PST 
wave

I want to order Kit a new harness - I'd like to get him a Lupine harness, not the step in kind or the H harness but the other one (not sure what it's called, it just says harness on the site I want to buy it from).

This one...

http://www.fouryourpawsonly.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PR OD&Store_Code=FYPO&Product_Code=LUP34D-060308&Category_Code=LUP34D

So I measured around Kit's ribcage and got 20.5 inches. Now I'm not sure what size I should get him, because the medium size says it fits 14-24 inches, but the largest size says it fits 20-32 inches. So I guess either one could fit him?

I'm not sure which to buy. I was thinking of getting the larger one because Kit wears clothes sometimes, and he's really furry when I let his fur grow out, so the larger one would maybe fit him better in those situations? But my fiance thinks I should go with the smaller size because he thinks it will fit Kit more securely.

If I get the larger size will the section that goes over his head be fit right or will it be to large? It didn't have measurements for that section. I measured around Kit's neck too and got about 13 inches.

Any advice? This will be my first Lupine harness! Our local pet store unfortunately doesn't carry Lupine products or else I would go there and just try the harnesses on him.
[notify]
MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Fri Mar 25, '11 6:15pm PST 
I'd go with the smaller one. The larger one will have a lot of extra bulk as most of the harness will be double thickness due to how you'll have to adjust it. You have 3.5 extra inches in the smaller one, and I can't see a sweater adding more than 2 inches. Which pattern are you getting? I'm almost jealous that you're getting the 3/4" since I really like a couple of the prints there that aren't available in the 1/2".
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Fri Mar 25, '11 6:38pm PST 
Hmm I didn't think of that! Thanks.

I'm getting the "Wild West" pattern. Red is Kit's color. He actually already has the collar in that pattern and I like it on him so much that it convinced me to get the harness too.

I like the 3/4 size on Kit because he's so furry that the smaller width ones are hard to see through all his fluff. At least that's been my experience with the collars...plus Kit is really big for a papillon!
[notify]

MACH, C-ATCH- Bailey RN,- CGCA

Is today agility- day??

Barked: Sat Mar 26, '11 4:50am PST 
Yeah, I pretty much have to rely on the leash to give a little style to my dogs. I don't think even the 3/4" inch would show through all of their fluff.
[notify]
Stella Agnes- CGC/TDI

CGC, Therapy- Dog. My velcro- girl!

Barked: Sat Mar 26, '11 1:27pm PST 
Hi! My Cavaliers wear the lupine harness...the one you're talking about is called the Roman harness. I buy them the small dog harness which is 1/2" wide, I believe. They wear size up to 20". I would definitely buy the up to 24" harness, if I were you. You'll love it!
[notify]
Daisy Mae

Cute? Yeah,- that's me.

Barked: Sat Mar 26, '11 4:50pm PST 
I just ordered Daisy Mae a new set (collar--for tags only, leash, and step-in harness). Because of her current size I could have gone with 1/2 or 3/4 inch sizes. I went with the 3/4 inch size and 20-32 inch size. Daisy Mae is about 21 inches around in the chest. She is not quite a year old and I know she will spread out in the chest since she is a pug.

Her harness is almost as small as it is will go, but I know she will grow into it a little more and probably would have grown out of the other size. She only wears her harness while on a walk or when I take her out. It does not seem too bulky even though it is doubled-up to make it small enough.

I almost 'had' to go with the 3/4 size just because the site I ordered from did not have the pattern that I wanted in the 1/2 in. I got Daisy Mae the Crazy Daisy pattern laugh out loud I had to get it.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Sun Mar 27, '11 9:09am PST 
Ha Bailey if we let his hair fully grow out I doubt you'd see any of the Lupine sizes on him because of all his fur. He looks like a big round furry polar bear when his fur is long. But we keep his fur clipped shorter most of the time.

Daisy Mae is so cute! I bet the Crazy Daisy pattern looks so cute on her. So other than having to double it up, which I don't see as any big problem, the harness fits her well?
[notify]
Rufio

I don't walk, I- prance!

Barked: Sun Mar 27, '11 10:35am PST 
I ordered the smaller size for Rufio but I didn't realize that his fur would add so much thickness so I had to exchange it for a bigger size. shrug
[notify]
Daisy Mae

Cute? Yeah,- that's me.

Barked: Mon Mar 28, '11 3:41pm PST 
Thanks, I think she is a cutie too! smile The Crazy Daisy pattern looks great on her. The bright colors go great against the fawn colored fur. Plus, bright and wild just fits her personality!

It seems to fit her fine. I don't think she minds that it is doubled up. She seems to dislike wearing it as much as the old step-harness she has. She only wears the harness if she is going out for a ride or a walk. If I leave it on too long before leaving or after returning, she rolls all over the places and tries to shake it off. She used to wear it all the time then I noticed it was changing the way her fur laid, so now it is only on an as needed basis.

I like the double-D rings on the step-in harnesses. If anything were ever to happen to the clip, she will not be able to get out of the harness because the leash would clipped to both rings.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Wed Apr 6, '11 3:13pm PST 
I ended up getting the bigger size. Kit's collar is Lupine and doubled up for a majority of the collars length and honestly it's really not a problem at all having it be twice as thick in some areas, since the material is pretty thin in the first place. I figured if it ends up being too big I'll exchange it for the smaller size.

Kit doesn't mind wearing his harness but I'm the same way - he only wears it when we go out. As soon as we come back in we take his harness off. He wears a collar too just to hold his ID tag.

I see what you mean about the step-in harnesses. I had one for Kit when he was a puppy and then switched to the roman style, and I just like the roman harnesses better for some reason. Kit never wanted to step-in to his step in harness lol so it was harder to get on him. With the roman ones, he knows which paw he has to lift up for me to put his harness on. Whenever he sees me get his harness out he gets all excited and runs around with his paw in the air waiting for us to put it on him - he knows getting his harness on means we're going outside!

I'll post again when the new harness gets here and let you all know how it works out!
[notify]