GO!

Which small breeds could be merle?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
King Jackal- Jackson

Appreciate me- for the gift- that I am!

Barked: Thu Mar 24, '11 8:11pm PST 
We're really curious about Luka's breed mix. He is blue merle with bright blue eyes, and a wiry coat. He's definitely a small breed puppy. Which small breeds could be merle?

Luka

Luka and his littermate Landon
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Thu Mar 24, '11 8:25pm PST 
Wow what different looking puppies. I don't know a ton about breeds. The breeds that I can think of that have merles are Chi, Pom, mini aussie, sheltie.
[notify]
Maggie

Wiggle-Butt

Barked: Thu Mar 24, '11 11:38pm PST 
you forgot Dachshund... they call it "dapple" but it's still the merle gene.

He looks kind of like a mini Aussiedoodle to me. (Yes, there are people breeding them on purpose- it's a Mini Aussie + Toy Poodle.)
[notify]

Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Fri Mar 25, '11 3:45am PST 
Minpins and schnauzers can also come in dapple occasionally. Minpins and mini schnauzers used to come from the same litters ages ago, and so the merle gene is still around in both though it doesn't crop up too often. In fact outcrosses to minpins is one reason that doxies have dapple. but now it's really rare and disqualifying when it happens for minpins and schnauzers while it's celebrated in doxies.

Affenpinchers also have the gene, but very rarely expressed in American lines, as the rest of the world likes black-only.

Havanese can come in all colors as far as I know, but they do have to have black or chocolate skin on the nose, lips and eyelid rims. With the way that they are colored normally, I would suspect it to be so.

Cocker Spaniels can also be merle though I have never seen a merle one before.
[notify]
Sam

I can get out of- anything...

Barked: Fri Mar 25, '11 6:25am PST 
Wow Taggert (sp? sorry if not) I didn't know that! I looked up pics and they are beautiful in dapple. Especially min pins!
[notify]
Olive- *2006-2012*- (RIP)

Toy? Did you say- TOY?!

Barked: Fri Mar 25, '11 10:18am PST 
Wow, what beautiful eyes that little blue merle has. (: The pups are probably mini Aussie mixes. thinking
[notify]
The Boys

The Three- Stooges.

Barked: Fri Mar 25, '11 10:32am PST 
I din't know all that either.shrug
[notify]
Nicky

World's Cutest- Leprechaun

Barked: Fri Mar 25, '11 11:12am PST 
Chis have both brindle and merle coloring (as do Poms), but it is also possible that different fathers could have contributed.

Edited by author Fri Mar 25, '11 11:15am PST

[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Fri Mar 25, '11 12:53pm PST 
The dapple MinPins (called "Harlequin Pinschers") are actually crossbreds because breeders wanted to REintroduce the merle gene in the breed. Since it's a dominant gene, it cannot "lurk" for generations undetected and suddenly pop back up again. Early pinschers may have had merle, but it was bred out of the breed. Now a few modern breeders crossed their dogs (I think with a merle Chihuahua) to bring it back. The mainstream Min Pin clubs are NOT in favor of this cross, and will NOT register the dogs as Min Pins, so don't get taken by any breeder who claims their merle pinschers are registerable with AKC or any other registry!
[notify]
(Quin)- Herdabout- The Mighty- Qu

Herdabout The- Mighty Quinlan!

Barked: Fri Mar 25, '11 1:56pm PST 
I WANT ONE! SEND ONE OVER!! LOL

Very cute...look kinda Brussel mixes with that face...but wow wow wow adorable
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2