GO!

Male wraps for obese Dachsie?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Noodle

Barked: Wed Mar 23, '11 7:11am PST 
So, we "inherited" a mini Dachsie from my grandparents, my step-grandfather fed him to morbid obesity, he came at almost 20lbs, should be around 10! He lost almost 5lbs on diet alone but because of our weather "Mr.Purse dog" would rather hide under his blanket all day, which for the most part he does, he likes to play for a few mins around dinner with his squeaky toys. Anyway, after my Step-grandfather went into a nursing home, my grandmother slid down hill, we later found while cleaning out her house that she had papered the entire kitchen and never took him out for the approx 3 months till she had to be taken to the ER and we had to haul him out of their house. It was BAD, she started hoarding and it was out of control. But, I must say, for a dog MADE to toilet on the floor indoors, he isn't half bad only a few poop accidents when the weather is beyond him, and if you leave him uncrated at night.

So, here is the issue. For some time now we would come home from shopping to find, a lingering odor that just didn't smell right. He seemed to be doing fine out while we are gone, but this odor just had me livid a couple weeks ago, so as I decided to do washes from the mud this past week I grabbed up the pillow case off a pillow that belongs to my Pem in which my mother thought Noods could better use it under a cabinet in the kitchen, as I was putting the case in the wash I noticed a wet area on one end and it REEKED of urine!!! He's peeing on it! So, today I go to throw his crate pillow in the wash, to which his crate has smelled bad in the past (my mother is usually the one who washed his stuff) and I decided instead of just tossing it in the wash I'll flip it around (it is a reversible cheap bed from Petsmart) and that is when I noticed, one side on the outside is all wet, I smelled it and it is sweet like urine! The location makes it unmistakable, he is obviously going back to his kennel at some point in the day and peeing on the door area!!!

I'm done with this, he needs something. But, I did try a "wrap" on him after we picked him up and it just kept sliding down his rump because he was/is so obese he's a bratwurst! He does now have a bit of definition of a waistline but he's still so fat. Is there a Male wrap that will work on him out there? I'm going to look up something I saw some time ago called "Dogsey's" I believe, they are like baby onesy's but made to conform to dogs. But I don't know if I'll be able to find them now. Any ideas on these?

I believe this to be simply a "marking territory" issue, having two other dogs in the house, another neutered male and a dominant unspayed female. He is other wise potty trained and does not mark when we are around, so this right now is the only real solution to the problem, I'm just having a hard time finding something that will stay on his so wrong sausage shape!
[notify]
Noodle

Barked: Thu Mar 24, '11 6:15am PST 
No one? Nothing? HELLO!? *knock-knock-knock*
Oh well, I knew it was a long shot *sigh*
[notify]
Bogie

Have cats -- Will Chase!

Barked: Fri Mar 25, '11 11:29am PST 
What about sewing him one? Do you sew? It could be as simple as a piece of fleece doubled/tripled and with velcro to close.
[notify]

Noodle

Barked: Fri Mar 25, '11 6:14pm PST 
Thank you Bogie. Unfortunately that is what I had done and it didn't work frown, it just kept sliding down till he tripped on it.
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Sat Mar 26, '11 12:00am PST 
You might just go get diapers for him.

Seriously though, you can train dogs to go in a litterbox or on a relief station. My two have a relief station for whenever they need to go while we're sleeping. It's one of those as-seen-on-TV ones, and it works well enough. As long as you keep it clean, it doesn't stink any more than a cat's box. They go out regularly in the day, it's just at night, they sometimes can't wait. We discipline them if we catch them going anywhere else, plus we clean it up with nature's miracle or Unique Pet stain and odor eliminator wherever they're not supposed to go, so they are reinforced or deterred by scent.

Those things are ideal for "purse pups" like chis, papillions, or mini doxies.
[notify]