GO!

Good, low-cost flea med brands?

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Thu Mar 10, '11 7:17pm PST 
Well the warm weather's coming back again (I guess the groundhog didn't see his shadow or something, it started earlier than normal this year) and Treader's beginning to get itchy again. He's already caused himself to get a rather large scab on his back and there are some areas on him, like his belly, that seem irritated, too.
Since we do not want a repeat of last year (chewing fur off, staph infection, yeast infection, etc), we're going to make sure we use a preventative this year.

My mom will not buy the typically-vet-recommended brands if something with a lower price will work just as well or better. She's wondering if FleaAway is effective? Any other brand suggestions?
We had ordered Capstar already, but came to find out it's not a preventative but a quick way to get rid of a current infestation.

We hadn't tried the oils and stuff I read about last year, but the garlic obviously didn't work when summer came along last year. I'm trying to be more careful this year.

Edited by author Thu Mar 10, '11 7:22pm PST

[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 12:54am PST 
sentinel. This is a monthly pill that you give your dog that is milbemycin/lufenuron combo. Milbemycin is for hookworm, roundworm, whipworm, heartworm, and lufenuron is a neurotoxin for invertibrates, harmless to anything with a spine, that also prevents flea embryos from forming the tooth required to hatch.

sentinel can be about $8 per pill, which is $3 more than milbemycin only, but it's still a lot cheaper than even going out and getting a monthly flea collar on top of heartworm pills.

The only thing is that if you see adult fleas on your dog while he is on it go give him a capstar pill. Capstar is a pill that you give when you see adult fleas, and it can be given up to twice a week, It kills fleas off in about a day after giving the pill. Lufenuron and capstar are designed to work together. The bonus is that adult fleas that bite a dog with lufenuron in ts system are sterilized, so even if they bite and hop off, they're sterile.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 8:51am PST 
The problem with sentinel is that it doesn't stop adult fleas from getting on and biting; it just stops them from hatching eggs. I have heard of a topical that works for heartworms, fleas, biting flies, ear mites.....It probably isn't as cheap as something from the dollar store but if you add together the cost of flea repellant and heartworm preventative, it may be very cost effective.

We use comfortus for fleas. It works well, no fleas and no mess. I wouldn't use an over the counter medication in place of a prescription one for myself, nor for my dogs.

One can also consider the cost of vet visits etc when using a product that is not effective or can be very toxic.
[notify]

Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 10:46am PST 
I like Interceptor for hear and other worm, then Adams Water based mist for external parasites. Adams smells nice, is not oily and works well. Around 5.00 US for a bottle. I apply twice a week and, of course after anytime the dog gets wet. That's the only drawback, it is not water proof.
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 9:52pm PST 
Treader can't have anything that lets adult fleas hop on him and survive, he's allergic to them.

We found a pack of Advantage we already had...from, um, 8 months ago. Okay to use?

Comfortis was one of the key things that helped us get rid of the infestation on the dogs as well as in the house (other than a good cleanup and flea spray on the carpets and furniture), but it's kind of expensive. The flea medication from the vet definitely would cost less than having a repeat of last year, though.

Edited by author Mon Mar 14, '11 9:54pm PST

[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Tue Mar 15, '11 4:22am PST 
I have a friend who has a great vet, he sells her BIG containers of flea control meant for a big dog and gives her doses and syrenges so she can break it up for her pack. It is very cost effective for her. Maybe you could talk to your vet and see if he will do something similar.

Comfortis is expensive, but we live in the deep south/flea central. It is cheaper then the itch/headache of not using it.

Good luck.
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Tue Mar 15, '11 3:11pm PST 
There are a few websites that sell flea medications for cheaper than most vet offices; 1800petmeds.com, petcarerx.com, drsfostersmith.com . I use Frontline Plus because it kills all life stages of flea and Daddy has a flea allergy.
[notify]
Tweaker

~

Barked: Tue Mar 15, '11 7:43pm PST 
The cheap flea meds that I know of is GioSpot or something like that. You can find it at your local Walmart. Or whatever kind of shop like that you have. We've used it a couple times before and it seemed to work, but we usually end up going back to the expensive stuff or we just use bath products.

I thought garlic was just for ticks? But I could be wrong. You might be able to find some stuff if you look it up. Little home remides, but again I'm sure they'd turn out like the garlic one.

I wish you luck on your journy for looking for that stuff. winklaugh out loud
[notify]
My Lucky8

big packs rule!

Barked: Wed Mar 16, '11 6:30am PST 
we use interceptor for heartworm and internal parasites and we use Frontline Spray if we spot any fleas smile
[notify]
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Wed Mar 16, '11 8:30am PST 
Adams kills adult fleas and ticks, and repels them so, it will keep them off, and if you miss a spray and the dog gets one or two on them, a quick mist will kill them. I'd also recommend treating the yard and bedding as well as your bed, the sofa whatever if you go this route. I have chickens that roam free so, they do a lot to control fleas, ticks and other pests in the yard. (Bantam breeds work best as they can easily fly out of reach of any predator - the dogs included.)
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2